Strawberry Chia Seed Jam Recipe

This post may contain affiliate links. Read my Privacy Policy.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

This Strawberry Chia Seed Jam was supposed to be a regular jam.

A reader emailed me and asked me if I had ever made jam using chia seeds. The theory is that the gel from the seeds would thicken the jam.

Clean Eating Strawberry Chia Seed Spread Recipe shown in a clear glass jar filled nearly to the top with the bright red strawberry spread.

I gave it a try, and the results were not what I expected, but they were delicious just the same. This is NOT a really sweet spread. It’s mildly sweet and perfectly complements a rice cracker with some nut butter. In other words, a fantastic addition to any nut butter snack. It’s great for a low-sugar spread on whole-grain toast or even complementary to vanilla ice cream if you don’t want to get too sickeningly sweet with ice cream toppings.

What Is Strawberry Chia Seed Jam?

If you’ve ever had chia pudding, it’s the same idea. All the thickening happens without the use of pectin. The thickening comes from the chia seeds, which turn to gel when exposed to liquid.

Why Make This Jam?

Chia seeds have a nice helping of omega-3’s. They are a great addition to a healthy diet.

Dietary Concerns:

Gluten-Free – This is naturally gluten-free.

Sugar-Free – If you wish, you can use alternative sweeteners. Try stevia.

Keto – This could be made keto with the right sweetener.

Paleo – This is technically paleo-friendly.

Can I Use Other Berries?

You can! Try blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, or any berry you’d like to use.

How To Use Strawberry Chia Seed Jam

Enjoy this jam with any of the following:

• Spread it over a pancake or waffle
  • Stir it into yogurt
  • Add it to oatmeal or overnight oats
  • Have it over ice cream
  • Depending on what you have, you could even add this to a sandwich.

Optional Additions

Try adding one of these to change up the flavors a bit.

• Lemon juice – You can add about 1-2 tablespoons of juice and/or zest.
  • Vanilla extract – Use the real stuff. Vanilla flavoring won’t do well here.
  • Maple syrup – Instead of honey (or try a different sweetener altogether)

About The Ingredients

StrawberriesΒ – Cleaned and coarsely chopped.

Water – Use good filtered water. Nobody wants a jam that tastes like chlorine!

Chia seeds

Honey – Use any type you like. You can also adjust the amount called for in the recipe to make this as sweet as you like.

How To Make Strawberry Chia Seed Jam

Place all ingredients into a metal pot and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat slightly so the contents of the pot don’t splatter all over your stove but still bubble in the pot.

Storage

It keeps in the fridge for about two weeks, give or take, and should be stored in an airtight container. Mason jars are great for this.

Freezing

Freezing is not recommended for this recipe.

More Fruit Spread Recipes

Remember to subscribe to my free newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox. Click here to sign up!

Strawberry Chia Seed Jam Recipe Card

Copyright Information For The Gracious Pantry
Clean Eating Strawberry Chia Seed Spread Recipe

Strawberry Chia Seed Jam

Enjoy this delicious spread over your morning, whole grain toast or even over a little vanilla ice cream if you’re being decadent.
No ratings yet
Print Pin Rate Add to Collection
Course: Condiments
Cuisine: American
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 1 batch
Calories: 556kcal
Author: Tiffany McCauley

Ingredients

• 2 cups strawberries (cleaned and chopped)
  • 1 cup water
  • ΒΌ cup chia seeds
  • ΒΌ cup honey

Instructions

• Place all ingredients into a metal pot and bring to a boil.
  • Reduce heat slightly so the contents of the pot don't splatter all over your stove but still bubble in the pot.
  • Stir constantly! The chia seeds burn on the bottom of the pot very easily. So keep stirring (I had to change pots halfway through because the seeds burned so easily).
  • Stir and boil until the mixture has reduced by half and has thickened into a gel-like consistency. Again, it will not be as thick as jam but will definitely thicken.
  • Pour into a clean glass jar and allow to cool for 1 hour. Place in the fridge overnight to continue cooling.

Notes

There is no way for me to know exactly how far you will boil down the spread, and therefore I have no idea how many servings this will end up being for you. The below numbers are for the entire recipe. Simply divide by the number of servings you end up with. Please note that the nutrition data here is a ballpark figure. Exact data is not possible.

Nutrition

Serving: 1entire recipe | Calories: 556kcal | Carbohydrates: 109g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 25mg | Potassium: 657mg | Fiber: 20g | Sugar: 83g | Vitamin C: 169.4mg | Calcium: 314mg | Iron: 4.8mg

Website | + posts

I'm Tiffany, a writer for MSN and the AP Newswire, a cookbook author, digital publisher, food lover, and mom.Β I create healthy, clean eating recipes for everyday living.

Similar Posts

63 Comments

1. Thanks Tiffany! I tried to make it myself as well and it turned out pretty good. My recipe was similar to yours. I’ll try yours this weekend because I’m almost out. This is so much better than store-bought; you actually taste the strawberries and not the sugar.

1. Kim – I know! What a concept, actually being able to taste the strawberries. Imagine! lol

2. That looks beatutiful, and delicious! Most fruits contain some pectin(the good-for-you soluble fiber) but apple and grape skins contain the most. You could simmer the skins in water to just cover, then strain out the skins and use the liquid to thicken your jam. It’s what people did before packaged pectin became available for jam and jelly making. I never had “store jelly” growing up because my mother always made it from the berries we picked wild or at pick-your-own farms, and peaches, plums and cherries from GrandDad’s trees. Also the glaze part of my fresh strawberry or peach pie recipe would make a really good spread or topping (over cottage cheese or swirled into yogurt, etc) with a little bit more agar if you want it thicker than it is.
    I never thought of using chia seeds as a thickener. What a great idea!

3. So how long does it last in the fridge..sounds simple and yummy!

1. Angela – I’d say about 2 weeks, but I’m not sure because it didn’t last that long here!

4. tasha - the clean eating mama says:

I can see myself using this over coconut ice cream πŸ˜‰

5. This is cooling in my fridge now. I added the chia seeds near the end of the process (I was afraid to ruin my new cookware if I burned the seeds, ha!). I may not have gotten the thickening that was intended from the seeds, but it seems to thickening well as it cools. After boiling down and measuring, I got about 1.5cups = 24 tablespoons @ approx. 16cals each. πŸ˜‰ Can’t wait to try it on pb toast. Thanks!

1. Tasha – Fantastic! Let me know how it turns out for you. I’d be curious to know if it still gelled.

6. Its STRAWBERRY PICKING SEASON! Do you think this would freeze well? And where did you get chia seeds?

1. Clarisse – I could be wrong, but I doubt this would freeze well. You’re better off making a compote if you need to freeze. I got the chia seeds at Whole Foods. But I believe most health food stores will carry them.

7. graciouspantry says:

Jaynelein – I really couldn’t say. I’ve never cooked with stevia, so I have no idea how it would work. Sorry.

8. I made some stevia-sweetened plum “stuff” last week, not thick enough for jam, too pulpy for syrup. I think I’ll re-cook a couple jars with chia. Thanks for a great idea!

1. graciouspantry says:

MaryLynn – Plums usually cook down enough to be thick. Try cooking them longer.

9. graciouspantry says:

I’m sorry but I know nothing about canning. Perhaps you can email the recipe to somebody who knows about canning. Best of luck!

10. Made a raw, strawberry rhubarb jam tonight using my Vitamix! Pureed the rhubarb really well with a little water so it wasn’t stringy. Added the strawberry’s, a little agave and chia seeds, mixed on low so it was still chunky. The original recipe calls for dates to help with sweetness and thickness but I didn’t have any. Super easy and so good!!

1. graciouspantry says:

Yum!!! Gotta love Vitamix!

11. From what I have been reading about chia seed jam, they add the seeds after everything is cooked and then put in fridge. Adding more or less depending on consistency wanted! Hope this helps.

12. I’m going to try this for sure & i think that if you soak your chia in your water for an hour or so before starting the process you might get a more gelatinous situation… not sure, i’ll report back.

13. I wonder. .could I substitute the honey for agave nectar?

1. You could, but agave isn’t clean. Just so you know. But yes, you can sub in equal amounts.

14. how does this come out to 904 calories??

15. Made this tonight and it turned out beautifully. Followed your instructions to a tee. I had a little bit extra that wouldn’t fit into the Ball jar, so I just ate it straight. Oh my gosh, is it delicious! Thanks!

16. Chia seeds are only 65 – 70 calories per tablespoon (according to my bag of organic chia seeds that I bought from Sprouts)…that wouldn’t equal up to enough calories to make this 904 calories. I figured it at home and it came out to be not quite 400 calories total.

17. tiffany q says:

Just made some for the first time! Oh my goodness! Soooooo goooood πŸ™‚ I added 1Tbs of coconut sugar though for a tiny kick of sweetness. Delicious!

18. You can do this also without cooking the berries at all. We grow organic Kiowa blackberries on our farm and I did it with the washed berries by just adding to the food processor 1 cup berries, 1 T. chia and sweetener to taste. (honey, stevia, maple syrup). Just blend and put in a jar in refrig overnight.
    I just tried it today with wild mustang grapes that I slowly cooked down, strained out skins.stems and seeds, added juice back to pot with organic sugar to low heat to melt sugar, then took off heat and added chia seeds I processed in vitamix to make more of a powder to add to jelly juice. Put in jars to set up in refrig and I hope it works !

19. @Sonii – did it work because a girlfriend just gave me a ton of mustang grapes. Please, please let me know because I would rather go that route than the traditional method.

20. could you make this recipe easier (less stirring) if you cook the chia seeds separate?

21. I don’t understand the need for cooking. Why not just chop or mash some strawberries, add chia and water, some sweetener (honey, stevia, agave if necessary), put in a jar or bowl and let the chia do their thing! If you want more of a jam consistency, use an immersion blender. I bought some strawberries from Florida and they’re so sweet all on their own I wont need additional sweetener. I’m making this “cold” version tonight!

1. Dee – It was just something I tried, that’s all. There was no reason for the cooking other than that is simply the way I did it at the time. Let me know how the cold version turns out!

22. Hi great recipe…… I tried this turned out great …..i cooked everything but chia seeds …… when it started reducing i then add chia seeds ….. i cooked it for 5 min on high …then on simmer until it thickened …. took off heat let sit in pot … 5 min and found it to be thick like jam ….. just a little patience ….. mmm good

23. Tony Orlando says:

Hi Tiffany
    When I became a type 2 diabetic about 7 years ago, I began on a journey to re-create great dishes that are not only low carb, but if possible gluten free as well. I own a supermarket and catering business, so why not make this a cause to help others, which I did. My deli-bakery team and I have created some amazing foods using Californian almond flour, Agave nectar, Xylitol, and have come up with some unique desserts, that satisfy the folks who really need it.
    Keep up the good work, and I wish you the best. Eating smart isn’t that hard, but it still takes discipline, especially when you travel. Love your stuff. God Bless

1. Tony – Thank you! And your business sounds wonderful! I’m hoping to open a clean eating bakery myself in the next couple years. It’s a big undertaking, but I think it will be worth it.

24. I made your recipe last night and tried it on my toast this morning with almond butter. DELICIOUS!!! Thanks! πŸ™‚

25. Michele Thomas says:

My question is..I’ve been canning for years…and usually you need to put all your jam’s and jellies in a hot boiling bath so they have a longer shelf life is this something one can do
    Thanks
    Michele

1. Michele – I’m afraid I know nothing about canning, and as a result, none of my recipes for formulated for canning. Sorry, wish I could be more help on that.