As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This spicy sweet California strawberry smoothie is light, refreshing and has a lil’ bit of kick!
DISCLOSURE STATEMENT: This is a sponsored post. I was paid to create this recipe. All opinions are my own.
Few things in life are as good as biting into a sweet, ripe, plump strawberry.
California benefits from having a long strawberry season that spans 7-9 months. And strawberries are known for their delicious source of nutrition and sweet taste.
As a child I remember when my mother would bring home crates of brightly colored strawberries with fresh-looking green leaves from the grocery store where she worked. I could easily polish off nearly an entire crate all by myself!
Strawberries are best eaten fresh, but they make great additions to many recipes, including deserts, salads and side dishes.
So when California Strawberries contacted me about doing this blog post, I had visions of those crates all over my kitchen. While I couldn’t find them in the store – I did manage to track down a package or two.
If you find your local store is out of fresh supply, feel free to use an unsweetened frozen variety. They work just as well here.
California Strawberries had this original version of the recipe to share: Spicy Sweet California Strawberry Tonic. But since it’s not clean, I modified it and I think you will LOVE the taste! Here is my version of their yummy recipe.
SPICY SWEET CALIFORNIA STRAWBERRY SMOOTHIE RECIPE
- ½ lb. California strawberries (hulled - unsweetened if frozen)
- ½ medium cucumber (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 1 small roma tomato
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 1 medium lime (juice only)
- 2 cups ice (if using fresh strawberries. Omit if using frozen strawberries)
- ¼ tsp. ground cayenne pepper (or to taste - I used more!)
- honey to taste
- 1 pinch salt
- Extra lime and strawberries for garnish
- Place all ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with cayenne, honey and salt.
- Garnish and serve.