As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This delicious southwestern butternut squash soup comes together easily with lots of flavor that you can totally adjust to your liking!
This past week, I’ve been totally in the mood for southwestern flavors. I just cannot seem to get enough! So when I saw my two lonely little butternut squashes sitting on my counter, I knew I had to spice things up for them a bit with a little spice and cilantro!
I love southwestern flavors. Maybe because they remind me so much of Mexican-style food (my absolute fav!)
More Butternut Squash Recipes
Southwestern Butternut Squash Soup Recipe Card
Southwestern Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 6½ lbs. whole butternut squash
- 1 medium red onion (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder (or garlic granules)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 cups chicken broth (no sugar or dextrose added)
- 1½ cups corn
- fresh, chopped cilantro for garnish – optional
- Cut the squash in half and scrap out the seeds.Place them, cut side down, on a cookie sheet. Fill the cookie sheet with about a ½ inch of water. Place in oven at 350 F. and bake until you can easily poke through the rind and flesh with a knife (about 1 hour).
- While the squash bakes, sauté the onions in oil until caramelized and set aside.
- Allow to cool and scrape out the flesh into a medium soup pot. (Into a blender if you don't have an immersion blender.)Add the broth (you don't have to add all the broth if it won't fit in your blender, just a little to get things nice and smooth) and blend with an immersion blender until the squash is very smooth.
- Stir in all other ingredients including the onions and warm over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Add salt to taste and serve topped with fresh cilantro.
This recipe from the Gracious Pantry archives. Originally posted 1/27/14.
I'm Tiffany, a cookbook author, food lover, mom, and writer for MSN and the AP Newswire.
Looking to stock your freezer for busy weeknights?
I wrote the book! Grab a copy of my book, Clean Eating Freezer Meals on Amazon here, or at select bookstores nationwide!