As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This delicious butternut squash soup has a twist that totally puts it over the top in the flavor department!
I was recently working on a recipe for Butternut Squash Lasagna. To put it nicely…. it didn’t work out. BUT…
I had a considerable amount of squash left over and thought I’d try making some soup. Now normally, I’ll use the “typical” ingredients. Some milk, nutmeg, and garlic. But I wanted something different.
I had just received a book I ordered called “The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America’s Most Imaginative Chefs“.
OMG! If you haven’t seen this book, you NEED to check it out. It should be a staple in every kitchen across the globe! It’s fabulous!
So I turned to the page on butternut squash and it gave me a huge list of every kind of flavor that pairs well with this particular squash. Highlighted, were cilantro and coconut milk.
I would NEVER have considered this combination before. But I was feeling brave after my lasagna adventure and gave it a try.
Holy moly! That was good soup!!!
More Healthy Soup Recipes
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe Card
Butternut Squash Soup
- 12 cups cubed butternut squash (baked and removed from skin)
- 2 cups chicken broth (no sugar added)
- 14 oz. can coconut milk (full fat is best, but light can be used too)
- 2 tsp. dried cilantro
- 1 tsp. dried, ground ginger
- salt to taste after cooking
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Place your pre-cooked squash, chicken broth, coconut milk, dried cilantro, and ginger in a large soup pot and blend with a hand blender.
- Turn on your stove and warm the ingredients in the pot.
- Serve and garnish with fresh, chopped cilantro.
Recipe from the Gracious Pantry archives, originally posted 1/21/10.