This Instant Pot coconut rice make a delicious side dish for any Thai meal!
I don’t make a lot of rice. I’ve never been a big rice person. I eat it when it’s there, but it’s not the first thing I think of unless I happen to be making some sort of Asian food. Then it occurs to me. It’s just not a go-to for me because I was raised with bread and potatoes and pasta. Not rice.
But the other night, I was in the mood for some Thai food, so I figured it was time to bust out the rice again. I didn’t want just plain rice though, so I put on my thinking cap and came up with this Instant Pot coconut rice recipe.
This rice dish is so super versatile. You can make it with just coconut, or serve it like I did and stir in some tamari and peanuts after you’ve cooked the rice. It’s wonderful, and it definitely gives you that Thai flavor so many people love.
This Thai-style dish is not one I’ve made in the past. It’s more of a current discovery. I was looking for a new way to make brown rice in my Instant Pot and needed something that would go with the Thai-style veggies I was making. So I figured it couldn’t be all that difficult to flavor the rice by cooking it with coconut milk, and I was right! It was wonderful!
Now if you’ve had coconut rice before, it may be a little different then what you’re used to. Coconut rice is typically made with white rice and tends to be a just a touch sweeter then what this recipe provides. But I didn’t want the sweetness to overwhelm anything, so I aired on the side of caution and it turned out to be just the right amount!
WHAT TO SERVE THIS WITH:
- As a side dish to any type of Thai food.
- As a main meal! Just stir in some veggies, and if you want, either some chicken or beans. Edamame beans would be great here!
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
HEALTHY RICE RECIPES:
INSTANT POT COCONUT RICE RECIPE:
Clean Eating Instant Pot Coconut Rice
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock (no sugar added)
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tbsp. dried coconut flakes (for garnish)
- Combine all ingredients, except the dried coconut flake, in your Instant Pot insert and stir to combine.
- Adjust pressure to high and time to 15 minutes.
- When done, do a quick release and serve the rice with a bit of the dried coconut flakes sprinkled over the top.
- OPTIONAL: Also stir in about 1/2 cup peanuts and then flavor to taste with Tamari sauce. (Low sodium is best)