As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This healthy skillet spaghetti is the easiest “pot” of spaghetti you’ll ever make because the pasta cooks in the sauce!
Skillet spaghetti is a simple, easy way to get a spaghetti dinner on the table. There is zero boiling the pasta ahead of time because everything cooks together in one, big skillet.
Can I Cook Spaghetti Noodles In The Sauce?
Yes! But with one adjustment. You have to add enough water to the sauce to actually rehydrate (cook) the spaghetti. The recipe below accommodates that.
Can You Cook Spaghetti In A Skillet?
You can! You’ll want to use a large pan. The bigger the better. I’ve even boiled pasta in water in a skillet before. But we won’t be doing that here.
How Long Do You Cook Skillet Spaghetti For?
Different types of pasta cook for different lengths of time. There are different thicknesses of spaghetti noodles, so it will all depend very heavily on what your particular package of pasta calls for. This recipe uses a standard, whole-grain spaghetti and cooks for 20 to 30 minutes.
Do You Add Pasta To Sauce Or Sauce To Pasta?
If you boil your pasta separately, you’ll want to add the pasta to the sauce. You’ll continue to simmer the sauce with the pasta in it for about 1 to 2 minutes and then serve it.
But with this recipe, you don’t have to worry about it either way because everything cooks together.
How Do You Cook Spaghetti Without It Sticking?
When you initially put your pasta into the liquid (whether it’s sauce or water), you’ll want to stir it well and make sure your noodles are well separated before walking away from the pot. Also, be sure there is enough liquid in the pot or skillet.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Pasta In A Frying Pan?
In general, it can take up to about 30 minutes, depending on the pasta you use.
Can I Make Pasta Without Boiling It?
Yes! Cook it in the sauce the way this recipe calls for.
“One Pot” Skillet Spaghetti
The great part about this recipe is that everything happens in one skillet. So there won’t be any big pasta pot to clean up after dinner.
If you want to make this skillet spaghetti a little heartier, try adding one or two of these.
- Grated carrots
- Splash of red wine (if you like wine in sauce).
- Splash of balsamic vinegar (gives the sauce a deeper, richer flavor).
- Chopped green pepper (red peppers work too. Any color is fine)
- Switch out the ground turkey for ground beef, or any ground meat you prefer.
- Add a couple of teaspoons of Italian seasoning.
- Try adding some Italian sausage.
- Use marinara sauce (with no added sugar) instead of tomato sauce.
These are classic garnishes that will all work quite well with this recipe.
- chopped, fresh basil
- chopped, fresh parsley
- a dash of red pepper flakes
- grated mozzarella cheese
- grated parmesan
One Pot Spaghetti Ingredients
1½ lbs. ground turkey
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. chili powder
1½ tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. dried basil
1 tbsp. garlic powder
3 cups water (+ 1 if needed)
30 oz. canned tomato sauce (no sugar added)
1 lb. whole-grain spaghetti
grated parmesan cheese
How To Make Skillet Spaghetti
Brown the turkey in your pan, using the olive oil.
Once the meat has lost all of its pink color, add all the spices to the pan and stir well to combine.
Pour in the water (start with 3 cups, you can always add more as needed) and tomato sauce and stir gently while bringing the sauce to a gentle boil.
Add the pasta, stir and cover the pan with a lid.
Check on the pasta often so as to keep it from burning on the bottom of the pan. Cook until the pasta reaches your desired level of “doneness” (Is that a word?). About 20-30 minutes. Remember to stir!
Allow to cool a bit and top with parmesan when serving.
Can I Use A Different Type of Pasta?
Yes, providing you use enough liquid to cook it.
What Size Skillet Should I Use For Skillet Spaghetti?
Use the biggest skillet you have. A 12 to 15-inch skillet is about right here. I have found that a cast iron skillet works best here. But any skillet will work.
Recipe Supplies For Skillet Spaghetti
More Healthy Pasta Recipes
Skillet Spaghetti Recipe
- 1 Large Skillet
- 1½ lbs. ground turkey
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1½ tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 3 cups water (+ 1 if needed)
- 30 oz. canned tomato sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 lb. whole grain spaghetti
- grated parmesan cheese
- Brown the turkey in your pan, using the olive oil.
- Once the meat has lost all of it’s pink color, add all the spices to the pan and stir well to combine.
- Pour in the water (start with 3 cups, you can always add more as needed) and tomato sauce and stir gently while bringing the sauce to a gentle boil.
- Add the pasta, stir and cover the pan with a lid.
- Check on the pasta often so as to keep it from burning on the bottom of the pan. Cook until the pasta reaches your desired level of “doneness” (Is that a word?). About 20-30 minutes. Remember to stir!
- Allow to cool a bit and top with parmesan when serving.
I'm Tiffany, a cookbook author, food lover, mom, and writer for MSN and the AP Newswire.
Looking to stock your freezer for busy weeknights?
I wrote the book! Grab a copy of my book, Clean Eating Freezer Meals on Amazon here, or at select bookstores nationwide!