This Clean Eating Purple Smashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions and Basil recipe makes the perfect side dish for almost any main course!
Eating clean at Thanksgiving doesn’t have to be a challenge when you make these purple smashed potatoes with caramelized onions and basil as one of your side dishes.
~ While I’m busy getting settled from my move, I’ve invited guest blogger Shelley Alexander to guest post. I know you’ll love her clean eating, Thanksgiving inspired recipe!
I’m absolutely thrilled to do a guest post for The Gracious Pantry! Tiffany’s dedication to helping people take control of their health by providing wonderful clean eating recipes on her fantastic blog and in her cookbooks is truly an inspiration to me!
I’m Shelley Alexander a holistic chef and certified healing foods specialist. My company, A Harmony Healing, provides Alcat Testing, Health Consultations, Cooking Classes, Workshops, Radiance Wellness Parties, and Company Health Seminars to help you rejuvenate and heal your body. I grew up in Ohio enjoying locally grown whole foods fresh from my grandparent’s garden and all the wonderful farmers’ markets.
Purple smashed potatoes are a healthy alternative to the regular mashed potatoes that everyone loves to eat at Thanksgiving.
My recipe uses antioxidant-rich purple potatoes, fresh herbaceous basil, alkalizing lemon juice, mineral-rich chicken stock, and extra virgin olive oil high in monounsaturated heart-healthy fats for a potato dish that is totally satisfying. The caramelized onions add a wonderful richness and hint of tanginess from the balsamic vinegar that enhances and elevates the potato flavor. You won’t miss gravy, cream, or butter when you enjoy these fantastic potatoes!
HEALTHY POTATO RECIPES
SMASHED POTATOES WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS RECIPE:
Purple Smashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions and Basil
- FOR CARAMELIZED ONIONS:
- 1 large yellow onion (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- unrefined sea salt (to taste - I used Himalayan sea salt)
- fresh ground black pepper (go taste)
- FOR POTATOES:
- 3 large organic purple potatoes
- 1 tbsp. sea salt (for water)
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup organic chicken stock (vegetable works too - heat stock up)
- 2 tbsp. torn basil leaves
- sea salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- Rinse dirt off of potatoes and leave skin on. Place potatoes in a large pot with 1 tablespoon of sea salt and enough cold water to cover by 2 inches.
- Bring potatoes to a boil over medium high heat and cook until tender. This should take around 25 minutes. To check the potatoes for doneness pierce with fork. While potatoes are boiling make the caramelized onions.
- In a medium sauté or fry pan add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sliced onions. Sprinkle onions with balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and black pepper and cook over medium heat.
- Cook onions for around 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent onions from burning. Onions should be a deep golden brown when done cooking. Set aside onions, cover and keep warm while you make the potatoes.
- Once potatoes are done cooking, remove them from pot and peel while still hot. Place peeled potatoes back in the pot you cooked them in and smash with a potato masher or large fork leaving slightly chunky.
- Sprinkle potatoes with sea salt, black pepper, and lemon juice and stir to combine well. Add olive oil and ¼ cup of hot chicken or vegetable stock and stir until well mixed. Taste and add more sea salt, pepper or stock if needed.
- Topped smashed potatoes with caramelized onions and torn basil leaves and serve hot.