As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This plum butter recipe is a wonderful way to enjoy your morning toast.
It seems that plums are a bumper crop this year! At least for those friends and families who have trees of their own. People have been giving us plums right and left around here and it can be tough to keep up with it all! Maybe it’s a good thing we don’t have a tree (though I want one…).
But when somebody gives me so much of a particular fruit, there’s just no way that me or my family can possibly eat it all before it goes bad. So I do what I always do. I dump it in a pot and cook it.
On the day I made this, I wasn’t going to be around for the better part of the day. So I started this off in my slow cooker and when I got home, transferred it to a pot. Worked like a charm and I had fresh plum butter in about an hour after getting home. You can do this in just a pot as well if you’ll be home the entire time, it’s really up to you. I love recipes that are versatile like that. Don’ you?
MORE HEALTHY FRUIT BUTTER RECIPES:
PLUM BUTTER RECIPE:
- 4 lb. pitted plums (approximately - I used enough to fill my 5 quart slow cooker 3/4 of the way.)
- 2 cups honey (or Sucanat)
- 1 tbsp. fresh orange zest
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon zest
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. agar agar flakes (optional - for thickness)
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Combine everything in the slow cooker and cook on low for up to 7 hours.
- Transfer to a large pot and cook long enough to cook the water down most of the way.
- Stir frequently. Cook until it has thickened.
Stove Top Directions:
- Combine everything in a large soup pot and add 4 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a low boil or simmer and allow to cook until everything has cooked down and thickened. Stir frequently, especially if you have an electric stove. This can burn quickly.