As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This persimmon butter recipe is the perfect way to use up a harvest of persimmons. Your morning toast will thank you!
My sister-in-law has two persimmon trees in her backyard. Thanksgiving day, she sent me home with 8 bags…. that’s right…. 8! I’ve made 6 crock pots of persimmon base, and I still have 7 bags to go. This is gonna be interesting.
In light of this, you will probably be seeing a lot of persimmon recipes here in the near future. Please forgive me, but I don’t like to waste anything. So somehow, I have to get through all the remaining 7 bags,
This is the first time I’ve ever made persimmon butter. And it certainly won’t be the last.
The spices on this turned out a bit strong, so I think the next time, I’ll cut back a bit. But it’s still really delicious. It has a “pumpkin-y” flavor and texture. Really yummy.
FRUIT BUTTER RECIPES
PERSIMMON BUTTER RECIPE CARD
Persimmon Butter RecipePrint Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 4 Quart Slow Cooker
- persimmons (enough to fill a 4 quart slow cooker when cut into fourths.)
- 3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (see link above)
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup honey (1 1/2 cups if you like things on the sweeter side)
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Clean and cut your persimmons and place in the slow cooker with water and dry spices.
- Cook on high temp over night. The next morning, they should be quite brown in color.
- Push/mash the persimmons through a metal, fine-meshe sieve into a large pot. Add the honey and bring to a soft boil. Continue cooking until you have a nice, overly thick "apple-sauce" like consistency.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Side Note: My sister-in-law asked if I could make some persimmon jam for her to give to family as gifts this holiday season.You can easily do the same by cooking the persimmons with only 2 tbsp. ground cinnamon in the crock pot. Push through the sieve and then boil 3 cups persimmon base, 1 cup water, 6 cups sugar and 1 package pectin in a large pot until you have a thick, boiled down liquid. Pour into jars, seal and refrigerate.
I'm Tiffany, a cookbook author, food lover, mom, and writer for MSN and the AP Newswire.
Looking to stock your freezer for busy weeknights?
I wrote the book! Grab a copy of my book, Clean Eating Freezer Meals on Amazon here, or at select bookstores nationwide!