I remember when I was a kid, the best part of bringing lunch from home was when I would find a sweet treat in my lunch box. But even back then, my mom and grandmother were all about making sure I got a good, home cooked meal. Even in said lunch box. This was not always a happy thing for me. But the rare and occasional sweets were always something I hoped for. Something I looked forward to.
Now that I have my own munchkin, I see the same hopeful look in his eyes when he checks to see what I’m packing in his lunch for the day.
And while I’m usually a pretty strict mom, I hate seeing that look of disappointment on his face when he doesn’t get something he likes. So I decided to create something that I would feel better about giving him. Something that is mildly sweet without giving him such a large sugar rush that he can’t sit still in class. So I kept the sugar relatively low as well as the portions by making these mini muffins.
They are perfect for a lunch box! They don’t take up much room, they are totally kid-sized and give my lil’ guy just enough sweet to put a smile on his face. Yay mom!!
- 1 egg
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup oil
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and chopped
- Place all ingredients except the cherries in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pulse in the cherries and spoon the batter into a lined mini muffin pan.
- Bake at 350 F. for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Cool completely before removing liners from muffins.