As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This homemade grape nuts cereal is a low carb, keto-inspired recipe… and boy is it delicious!
Changing the way you eat on a daily basis is never a small undertaking. It takes commitment, a firm grasp of why you are making the changes, and a willingness to stick with it long term.
That last one can be a real zinger. I mean, it’s easy to start out with tons of willpower and determination, but after a while…. well, lets just say that your resolve can wane a bit watching everyone around you eat the way you used to eat before you made your changes.
While eating clean was a fairly easy transition for me, this low carb thing has been a real struggle. I know I have to do it for my blood sugar, but it ain’t so easy when I watch those around me eat pancakes for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and pasta for dinner. It can really wear a girl down.
But one thing I have noticed is that since being on this low carb plan, my body has become FAR more affected by carbs than it used to be. It’s like it finally got some relief and now if I mess up, it really gives me hell.
So now I’m trying to regroup a little and do the same thing I did with clean eating in the beginning. I’m trying to come up with “normal”, everyday foods that most people eat, but make it a clean and low carb version.
My first order of business was cereal. I will admit, I had no idea where to start. So I turned to my fellow bloggers in the low carb niche for help.
If you’ve never been to the All Day I Dream About Food blog, you really should check it out. While Carolyn’s focus is not clean eating, she’s amazing with the low carb recipes!
I used her recipe for low carb cereal as inspiration for this recipe here and boy, did this turn out delicious, although, not exactly as expected. It’s not as hard as Grape Nuts, but it does have some crunch from the nuts. And while it’s been years since I have actually eaten Grape Nuts, I have to say that this really reminded me of it. If you love Grape Nuts, I hope this will do the same for you!
MORE HEALTHY BREAKFAST RECIPES:
Recipe adapted from All Day I Dream About Food
Grape Nuts Cereal Recipe
- 10 oz. roasted, salted macadamia nuts (chopped)
- 8 oz. raw pecans
- 2 tbsp. flaxseed
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup almond butter (no sugar added)
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pure liquid stevia (Optional – or as much as you like)
- In a small pot, combine the almond butter, vanilla extract, coconut oil cinnamon and stevia (if using).
- Warm gently, stirring, until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a food processor, blend the nuts and flaxseed together for 5-10 seconds, pulsing if needed. You want a course mixture with some larger chunks still in there for more of a cereal texture.
- Combine the almond butter mixture with the ground nuts in a large mixing bowl, and stir to coat the nuts evenly. Better still is to knead by hand.
- Spread out over a baking pan and bake at 325 F. for 15-20 minutes, stirring at regular intervals. You simply want to reduce the moisture a bit. Please note that ovens may vary, so your baking time may vary too. Also, these will still feel a bit soft while warm in the oven. So you want to go by color more than feel. They should have a nice, golden, roasted nut color to them when they are finished. That's usually about the time things start to smell really good in the kitchen!
- Allow to cool completely and transfer to an air-tight container and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
I'm Tiffany, a cookbook author, food lover, mom, and writer for MSN and the AP Newswire.
Looking to stock your freezer for busy weeknights?
I wrote the book! Grab a copy of my book, Clean Eating Freezer Meals on Amazon here, or at select bookstores nationwide!