Would you believe I’ve never had corn bread before? I think I tasted one little crumb at a restaurant once, but it was a crumb. And it was little.
So when I decided to make chili for dinner the other night, I thought… what the heck. I’ll make corn bread too. How hard can it be?
I went online to find a corn bread recipe, and do you know that only ONE recipe came up for clean eating corn bread? One!
I was happy to find it until I went to actually make the recipe and realized it was missing some critical information. At one point in the ingredient list, it says: “4 tbsp. For Baking”.
4 tablespoons of what???
And it was all down hill from there.
It was not a great recipe. But the good news is, I was able to improvise. And you know what? It turned out to be some darned good corn bread, if I do say so myself!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
Clean Eating Corn Bread
(Makes 15 pieces, or 1 – 9X5 pan)
Note: Use organic corn products to avoid GMO corn.
- 1 cup plain yellow corn meal
- 1 cup corn flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened soy milk (regular milk works too)
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen corn, no sugar added (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix your dry ingredient together with a whisk.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, mix your wet ingredients, including the frozen corn.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just barely blended. Lumps are okay. Don’t over mix.
- Scrap your batter into your baking dish and bake for 15 -20 minutes. If you think you need longer than 15 minutes, check it every minute thereafter, or you’ll end up with burnt corn bread. If you like a lighter color on top, place a sheet of aluminum foil over the top for the last 5 minutes of backing.
- Corn bread is done baking when you can poke it with a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Slice into 15 pieces, and serve while it’s hot!