The coconut lime oat bars were and idea that came from a recipe I did for my upcoming cookbook. It was a recipe for tropical candied peanuts and it was absolutely delish!
I also like to keep healthy snacks around for Mini Chef since he will make a b-line for the cookies in the house if I don’t. So these, though they are a bit cookie-like, are a substitute I feel comfortable giving him when he’s begging for a treat. He absolutely adores these!
MORE PROTEIN BAR RECIPES:
CLEAN EATING COCONUT LIME OAT BARS RECIPE:
- 2 cups quick oats (dry)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
- 1 cup coconut flakes (unsweetened)
- 2 medium limes (zest from both limes, juice from just 1)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Dry, roasted oats in oven without oil for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool. Keep oven on at same temperature.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and knead with your hands. I promise, you'll enjoy licking your fingers when you're done!
- Spread the mixture into a 9X13 baking dish. This will take a little patience as the mixture is thick and needs a little "convincing" to smooth itself out. Just keep nudging it across the dish until you have a nice, even spread.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Yours may not turn out as dark as the ones in the photo above because I over-baked them a bit. But they were still yummy!
- Cut into 24 squares ( I used a pizza cutter) and allow to cool before eating (they stay hot for a while!)