As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Make no mistake, whether you just eat clean or clean and low carb, this is a treat. Not a regular part of your eating plan. But the truth is, sometimes you need a treat. A delicious treat. And this blueberry lemon mug cake is just the thing to soothe a raging sweet tooth.
While some would consider this a bit high in carbs (it has approximately 12 carbs or 8 net carbs), I’m convinced that if I’m going to stick with this low carb lifestyle, I have to be able to enjoy myself from time to time.
I love that I can make a single serving of cake and avoid having a dish of leftovers laying around. There is nothing worse than taking that last bite of cake and realizing you’d like to have a few more bites. Because when there are actually a lot of bites still in the kitchen, it’s oh-so-easy to indulge, “one more bite” at a time.
So single servings are something I’ll be doing more of in the future. Especially where desserts are concerned. I hope you enjoy this!
Recipe Note: If you’d rather use a sweetener other than stevia, try 1-2 tbsp. of sucanat or coconut sugar. Even honey should work in the same amount.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
Blueberry Lemon Mug Cake
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp. light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil (in liquid state)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. pure liquid stevia
- ¼ tsp. lemon extract
- ½ tsp. tightly packed lemon zest
- 4 tbsp. almond meal
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 15 blueberries (fresh, not frozen)
- In a medium to large mug, crack your egg and whisk with a fork.
- Whisk in the coconut milk and oil. The oil should blend in smoothly.
- Add the vanilla, lemon zest and stevia and whisk thoroughly.
- Now add the almond meal, baking powder and cinnamon and once again, whisk thoroughly.
- When the batter is nice a smooth, simply drop the blueberries onto the top of the batter. It will sink on its own. Do not mix them in.
- Microwave for 1 minute to 2 minutes. Start with one minute and if there is still uncooked batter at the bottom (push the cake to the side with a spoon to see the bottom), microwave for another minutes.
- Allow this to cool. The berries hang onto the heat for a long time, so don't burn yourself!
- Serve with a few extra fresh berries for garnish.