As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These clean eating blueberry cupcakes with lemon curd frosting are da bomb-diggity!! (Yes, I just said that.)
There is a tree not too far from where I live. This tree is one of those magical trees that every kid dreams of climbing. I know this because I was an avid tree climber as a child. Even now, at age 40, I sometimes feel the urge to grab a branch and hoist myself up into welcoming branches.
But this is the story of a little boy. A little boy who loves to climb trees. He’s adventurous, bright-eyed, always has a joke and a big smile for you and has more integrity and honesty than some adults I know. And he loves to spend hours among the strong branches of this tree.
Mini Chef and I spent the better part of our Sunday afternoon at this tree not too long ago. I sat under the shade of its branches enjoying a respite from the hot summer sun, while Mini Chef lost himself in the magic of leaves and bark. This tree is truly amazing because once you have climbed into its branches, you can pretty much lose yourself in a small maze that will actually hide you temporarily from any onlookers. His favorite game is to hide in the branches, poke his head out, and shout boo at his “unsuspecting” mama.
We tell stories by this tree. We eat picnics by this tree, and we also make memories by this tree. It’s really pretty amazing how something so simple as a tree can supply a child with so much imagination, excitement, and adventure. He climbs up as high as he can and pretends to be spying on me or watching for pirates. And I, in turn, must play the part of an innocent bystander or the possessor of much gold that needs pirating. It’s a fabulous way to spend a lazy summer afternoon.
And once Mini Chef has had his fill of gold and treasure hunting from the treetops, he finds his way back down to the ground for a bite to eat and to recount all his fabulous tree-top adventures. On this particular Sunday, I brought along a few of these cupcakes. And I can tell you that they will be a strong part of his memory of that day.
Pirates, gold, treasure, and cupcakes. What more could a little boy want?
More Healthy Cupcake Recipes
Blueberry Cupcakes With Lemon Curd Frosting Recipe
Blueberry Cupcakes with Lemon Curd Frosting
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ½ cup milk (any kind – I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup oil (I used coconut oil)
- ½ cup honey (3/4 cup if you like them very sweet)
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups whole spelt flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries (fresh work too.)
- clean eating lemon curd (see link above)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except the blueberries. Mix well.
- If you don’t mind blue coloring in your cupcakes, lightly stir in the blueberries.
- Fill the cupcake papers with batter, leaving about 1/4 inch between the batter and the top of the papers.
- If you do mind blue streaks or coloring in your cupcakes, pour the batter without the blueberries mixed in, and then spoon the blueberries over the top of your cupcakes, pushing them in gently with the back of a spoon or your fingers.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until they cupcakes are cooked through.
- Cool, then top with the lemon curd and a few extra blueberries.
- Refrigerate immediately to keep the lemon curd thick. Remove from fridge right before serving.
I'm Tiffany, a cookbook author, food lover, mom, and writer for MSN and the AP Newswire.
Looking to stock your freezer for busy weeknights?
I wrote the book! Grab a copy of my book, Clean Eating Freezer Meals on Amazon here, or at select bookstores nationwide!