As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Sweet Potato Breakfast with Seitan is an easy, plant-based breakfast recipe that will help you start your day on the right foot! Plenty of veggies and protein to keep your body fueled all morning!
You guys are really loving my easy vegan breakfast recipes, and truth be told, I’m enjoying creating them. Before starting this vegan way of life, breakfast almost always included eggs and meat of some kind. Oh how times have changed… I love veggies for breakfast, especially a sweet potato breakfast!
SWEET POTATO BREAKFAST WITH SEITAN
Sweet potatoes are great source of vitamins and minerals. They’re rich in beta-carotene, potassium, and fiber, so they are definitely a good choice for breakfast.
However, I do think it’s important (at least for me) to get some protein into breakfast, too. I find that more protein in the morning helps me get through the day better.
WHAT VEGAN FOODS ARE HIGH IN PROTEIN?
So I’ve been experimenting with different plant-based protein options. There are more than you may realize, but some of the more popular are:
- Nutritional yeast
WHAT DOES SEITAN TASTE LIKE?
I recently worked up the nerve to buy a package of seitan at Whole Foods 365 and I was pleasantly surprised by both the flavor and texture. It really is very similar to eating meat, with the exception of it being a touch chewier. It has a savory flavor; some people say it is very similar to some of the darker mushroom varieties, like portobellos. The texture is chewier then that, though.
This dish came together beautifully! The only thing you really have to remember is to cut your sweet potatoes small. So take some time with the chopping. It will pay off in quicker cooking times as well as ensuring that all the potato pieces cook evenly. I cut mine to approximately 1/4 inch squares. Maybe even a little smaller because I wanted this to cook quickly. If time is a concern in the morning (like it is for most of us!), try doing the chopping the night before. Keep the potatoes in a container filled with water and store in the fridge overnight. In the morning, simply drain off the water, pat the potatoes dry with a paper towel and proceed with the recipe.
SWEET POTATO BREAKFAST SCRAMBLE WITH SEITAN
Sweet Potato Breakfast Scramble With Seitan
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 2 cups sweet potato (diced very small for measuring)
- 4 medium white mushrooms (sliced - about 3/4 to 1 cup)
- ¼ cup red onion (chopped fine for measuring)
- 4 oz. seitan
- ½ cup vegetable broth (as needed for cooking)
- ¼ cup parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, warm the oil.
- Gently add the sweet potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- When the potatoes start to soften just slightly (5-10 minutes), stir in the mushrooms and onions and continue cooking.
- If you find the oil is drying out, add in the vegetable broth as needed to continue cooking.
- When all the veggies are cooked through, add in the seitan and cook for another 2 -3 minutes or until the seitan is warmed through.
- Turn off the heat and quickly stir in the fresh parsley.
- Serve with salt and pepper as needed.