These spelt pancakes are a great option for an easy, healthy breakfast during the week. This pancake recipe creates whole grain pancakes that are fluffy, delicious, and loaded with the benefits of spelt flour.
Pancakes are a family favorite breakfast for many people, including yours truly. But almost every pancake recipe calls for eggs. If you can’t have eggs but want to be able to continue enjoying pancakes, it will require a few changes in recipe ingredients.
A vegan friend of mine gave me this recipe for vegan spelt pancakes. And yes, she said it was okay to share it here. These spelt pancakes are so tasty!! And best of all, they are whole grain pancakes, so they are healthier than traditional pancakes. Plus, they have great flavor without adding sugar to the batter.
BENEFITS OF SPELT FLOUR
Spelt is one of five grains known as ancient grains. It is stone ground, so the healthiest parts of the grain remain in the flour. Spelt flour offers an impressive list of health benefits, too.
- Whole grains are good for overall heart health
- Easier to digest than whole wheat
- Great source of iron, fiber, magnesium, protein, and zinc
There are two varieties of spelt flour; whole spelt and white spelt. Whole spelt has the most fiber of the two, and its texture is similar to whole wheat flour. For that reason, it isn’t the best choice to use for things like soft baked goods and pancakes.
In white spelt, the bran and germ of the grain are removed. As a result, it has a softer texture, making it the perfect choice for spelt pancakes!
Can you freeze pancake batter
Yes, you can freeze pancake batter, and you can also freeze spelt pancakes!
The best way to freeze pancake batter is to seal it in a zip top freezer bag. You can store in the freezer that way for up to 4 months. Just be sure to plan ahead and allow enough time for the batter to thaw in the refrigerator. Typically, it thaws in about 12 hours.
If you want to, you can even dispense the pancake batter directly from the plastic bag; just snip off one corner and you will be good to go!
HOW TO FREEZE SPELT PANCAKES:
- Cook the pancakes and allow them to cool.
- While the pancakes cool, line a rimmed baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Then, make some space in your freezer for the pan.
- Place the baking sheet into the freezer and allow the pancakes to freeze. This will take roughly an hour.
- To prevent frozen pancakes from sticking together, place a small piece of wax paper or parchment paper between each pancake.
- Transfer the frozen pancakes into an airtight container or freezer bag. They keep well frozen for about a month.
EGG FREE BREAKFAST RECIPES:
HOW TO MAKE SPELT PANCAKES
Spelt Pancakes Recipe
- Mixing Bowl
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups almond milk (unsweetened)
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- oil for cooking
- Whisk all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until the batter is smooth.
- Warm oil in a skillet and pour in enough batter to make a pancake that is approximately 4 inches in diameter.
- Cook on one side until brown, flip the pancake and repeat.
- When browned on both sides and cooked through completely, transfer to a holding plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Top with your favorite pancake toppings and enjoy!