As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Naan pizza is one of the easiest, most delicious pizzas. It comes together quickly and cooks up fast for a quick and easy pizza dinner.
I will start by saying you can put any toppings you like on naan bread and call it pizza. But this particular combination was so good, I just had to share.
I cooked these on the grill. When I make them again, I’ll put foil down on the grill, as the recipe below will reflect. They got a smidge overcooked being so directly over the fire. But still absolutely delicious, just the same.
What Is Naan Pizza?
Simply put, naan pizza is pizza made on naan flatbread instead of pizza dough. You can buy it or make it at home for a whole grain naan.
If you are worried about the naan burning on the grill, simply place a metal baking sheet (a sheet pan) upside down on the grill and place the naan on those. Don’t use parchment paper. It will burn due to the grill.
Naan Bread Pizza Variations
You can try any addition or topping combination on your flatbread pizzas. They will all taste great!
- Ground beef instead of chicken.
- Different veggies such as broccoli.
- Brush on some pizza sauce in place of barbecue sauce.
- Add red pepper flakes for some kick.
- Try cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella cheese, or use fresh mozzarella or Baratta.
- Use lots of fresh basil or other herbs.
- Sprinkle on parmesan cheese.
Classic Pizza Toppings
- Margherita pizza – Fresh mozzarella and fresh, sliced tomatoes.
- Hawaiian pizza – While ham isn’t clean, you can substitute it with just about any meat. Then add chopped pineapple and onions.
- Pepperoni – Just cheese and pepperoni. Clean pepperoni is hard to find, but it does exist. I have found it at Whole Foods in the past. But it will never be 100% clean because it is processed. So the best you can do is look for a clean ingredient list.
- Sausage – Here again, it won’t be truly clean, but look for a clean ingredient list. Applegate sausage has this.
- Vegetable – Add any vegetables you like! Just chop them small for easy eating.
About The Ingredients
Naan bread – Whole grain, no sugar added.
Oil – Any light flavor oil will work. Olive oil works great!
Garlic granules – Or garlic powder.
Chicken breast – Cooked and shredded – see notes above.
Red onion – Chopped and sautéd.
Grated mozzarella – You can use any cheese, but mozzarella melts best on pizza of any kind.
Barbecue sauce – Use your favorite or see suggestion below.
Parsley – or basil.
How To Make Naan Pizza
It’s super quick and easy to throw together!! This recipe assumes you already have your chicken cooked. If you don’t, do what I did and throw a couple of chicken breasts in an Instant Pot and cook with 1/4 cup barbecue sauce and 3/4 cup chicken broth. Then shred, and use on your pizza.
Once you have everything ready to go, you’ll want to make a “wash” out of the oil and garlic powder. You’ll brush that on (instead of sauce) with a basting brush, covering the naan all the way to the edges. If your naan is larger than mine, you may need slightly more oil. Adjust as needed.
Set out your naan on a work surface. Mix the oil and garlic powder and brush the oil over the naan in equal portions.
Spread the shredded chicken over the naan, and then sprinkle with cheese.
Add your sautéd onions in equal portions over each naan.
Drizzle on a fourth of the barbecue sauce on each naan.
Sprinkle on your fresh herbs.
Place these on a hot grill, but don’t let it get too hot. Something around 300 F. is about right. These will cook for about 10 minutes. You should only leave them on the grill long enough for the cheese to melt. As soon as that happens, take them off.
Slice with a pizza cutter and serve. This goes great with a green salad on the side.
Then you’ll put your shredded chicken on and cover that with cheese. Then add your sautéd mushrooms and finally, drizzle some barbecue sauce on top. Save the fresh herbs for after the pizza is grilled or baked. You only bake these long enough to melt the cheese. About 10 minutes on average. Slice with a pizza cutter and serve. This goes great with a green salad on the side.
Can You Bake These In An Oven?
Yes, you can! Bake at 400 F. for approximately 10-15 minutes, or just until the cheese melts.
How To Store Naan Pizza
If you have leftovers, simply keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can make your own barbecue sauce at home pretty easily. I have this recipe for barbecue sauce, and it will work well here. I often buy my barbecue sauce, which was the case here. I used Bone Suckin’ Sauce (not paid to promote, just sharing what I used.). I find it at Whole Foods and other grocery stores. It’s sweetened with honey instead of processed sugar and the original sauce has a totally clean ingredient list. We love it!
The ingredients are as follows:
Tomato Puree, Tomato Paste,Water, Honey, Apple Cider Vinegar, Molasses, Yellow Mustard Seed, Salt, Turmeric, Horseradish, White Vinegar, dried onion, lemon juice concentrate, garlic, spices, paprika, red pepper.
You can find it on Amazon here (affiliate link):
For this recipe, you’ll want a basting brush and a pizza cutter. You can find them on Amazon by clicking on the images below. (Affiliate links).
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
More Healthy Pizza Recipes
Naan Pizza Recipe
Naan Pizza Recipe
- 4 medium naan breads (whole grain, no sugar added)
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- ½ lb. chicken breast (cooked and shredded – see notes above)
- 1 medium red onion (chopped and sautéd)
- 1 tbsp. oil (for sautéing the onions)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup chopped parsley (or basil)
- Set out your naan on a work surface. Mix the oil and garlic powder and brush the oil over the naan in equal portions.
- Spread the shredded chicken over the naan, and then sprinkle with cheese.
- Add your sautéd onions in equal portions over each naan.
- Drizzle on a fourth of the barbecue sauce on each naan.
- Sprinkle on your fresh herbs.
- Place these on a hot grill, but don't let it get too hot. Something around 300 F. is about right. These will cook for about 10 minutes. You should only leave them on the grill long enough for the cheese to melt. As soon as that happens, take them off.
- Slice with a pizza cutter and serve. This goes great with a green salad on the side.
This recipe is from the Gracious Pantry® archives, originally posted on 7/26/2020.