As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This pink dragon fruit smoothie is sure to brighten up your morning!
Dragon fruit is nutritious fruit. It’s a great addition to your morning smoothie without adding a ton of calories to your breakfast.
WHAT IS DRAGON FRUIT?
Dragon fruit is a colorful fruit that grows on particular cacti. They are native to South America and Mexico. They have a delicate flavor that has a medium to mild sweetness and a creamy (some say mushy) flesh with crunchy seeds.Dragon fuit is a fruit that grows on several species of cactus that are native to Mexico, Central, and South America. There are several varieties of different colors.
According to healthline.com, 1 cup of dragon fruit has these benefits:
- 3 grams of protein
- 7 grams of fiber
- 8% of daily iron requirements
- 18% of daily magnesium requirements
- 9% of daily vitamin C requirements
- 4% of daily vitamin E requirements.
- Lots of antioxidants
- May help give lower iron levels a boost
WHAT DOES DRAGON FRUIT TASTE LIKE?
It’s flesh has roughly the same texture as a kiwi, and the flavor is said to be a cross of kiwis and watermelons with a bit of pear thrown in. They are not overly sweet, but sweet enough to enjoy.
HOW TO STORE DRAGON FRUIT:
Once the fruit is rip, it will lay on your counter without refrigeration for a few days.
Refrigeration is fine if you wish it to last longer. Just be sure to put it in a plastic bag first so it doesn’t pick up the flavors of other foods in your fridge.
Cut the fruit only when you are ready to eat it.
To freeze dragon fruits, peel it and cut it into small chunks. Place them on a cookie sheet with space between each chunk and frezze overnight, covered with plastic wrap. Once frozen, you can transfer to a freezer-safe container or bag for further freezing.
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
MORE HEALTHY SMOOTHIE RECIPES:
DRAGON FRUIT SMOOTHIE RECIPE
Pink Dragon Fruit Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup pink dragon fruit (frozen is best)
- 1 cup strawberries (washed and de-stemmed)
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup banana (peeled, frozen is best)
- ¼ cup rhubarb (frozen is best)
- Wash strawberry and remove leaves.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Divide into 2 portions and serve immediately.