As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you love creamy chicken recipes, this is the one you want. Believe it or not, I made this delicious, creamy garlic mushroom chicken recipe without any dairy at all!
This easy chicken recipe is made with fresh mushrooms and served over rice, quinoa, or noodles. If served over noodles, it’s very much like creamy stroganoff, but with chicken instead of beef. This is a family-friendly meal that both kids and adults will love.
Suggestions For What To Serve This Over
- Mashed potatoes
- Zucchini noodles
- Cauliflower rice
What To Serve With Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken
Aside from the suggestions given on what to serve this over, there are some side dishes that would be yummy with this.
- A green salad
- Crusty garlic bread
- Roasted potatoes
- Roasted Brussels sprouts
- A side of roasted squash (summer or winter)
- Steamed or roasted broccoli
Some folks may want to play around with the flavors a bit. If you do, give one of these a try:
- Lemon juice
- Dry white wine
- Fresh thyme
- Heavy cream – Just a bit to thicken it further if you wish.
- Parmesan cheese
- Starch – If you want to thicken this further, make a slurry with corn starch or arrowroot powder and whisk it in while everything is hot. About 1 tbsp. of either will work.
- Extra veggies – Such as peas.
About The Ingredients
Oil – Any oil you are comfortable cooking with will do. But try to avoid oil with a low smoke point, such as olive oil.
Boneless skinless chicken thighs – Or chicken breasts. You can cook them whole and then shred them after cooking, or you can cut them into small bite-size pieces before cooking. Whichever is less work for you.
Mushrooms – Cleaned and sliced. I used regular white mushrooms, but you can also use brown mushrooms such as baby bellas or cremini mushrooms if you wish.
Garlic – Pressed. If you don’t have a garlic press, you can finely mince the garlic instead. But pressed is best! In a pinch, you can use 1 tablespoon of garlic powder (or more to taste)
Chicken broth – No sugar or dextrose added. Low sodium is best. I like the Imagine brand found at Whole Foods and other health food stores. (Not paid to promote them. It’s just what I use.)
Coconut aminos – If you don’t have these, you can use soy sauce or tamari instead.
Balsamic vinegar – Nothing with added flavors. Just the regular stuff.
Plain yogurt – I used the Kite Hill brand almond milk yogurt (Not paid to promote them). If you don’t mind dairy, you can use regular yogurt as well. Even Greek yogurt will work fine here.
Fresh parsley – Don’t skip this! I know it seems like a garnish, but it adds a wonderful flavor to the dish!
How To Make Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken
Making this part of the recipe is a one-skillet endeavor. However, you’ll also want to cook any rice or pasta you want to use separately to serve it over. I won’t cover that in the recipe below which is just for the chicken and sauce. The choice s yours on how you want to serve this. But I do highly recommend the pasta. It’s delicious!
How To Cook Chicken Thighs
Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
Then place the chicken thighs into the pan. Brown them on both sides. The color you achieve in this step is the color you will have in the finished dish. So if you want that golden brown look, you’ll want to do a good job of browning the chicken now.
Add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook until wilted.
Once wilted, add in the garlic and cook for one minute.
Add the soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine.
Season with salt and pepper and cook until the chicken is tender and fully cooked. (At least 165 F.)
Creamy Sauce For Chicken
Pour in the chicken broth.
Add in the yogurt.
Stir well to combine all the sauce ingredients.
Stir in the fresh parsley.
Serve by itself, over rice, quinoa, or even noodles.
Storing Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken Recipe
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freezing is not recommended for this recipe.
Reheating Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken
Reheat in the microwave or a skillet on the stovetop. You may have to add a tiny bit of broth just to get things fluid again. Do not overheat because the yogurt can curdle if it gets too hot.
More Healthy Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot French Onion Chicken
- Crockpot Italian Chicken
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- Mexican Chicken And Beans
Remember to subscribe to my free newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox. Click here to sign up!
Garlic Mushroom Chicken Recipe Card + Video
Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken Recipe
CLICK TO WATCH THIS RECIPE IN ACTION!
- 1 Skillet
- 1 tong
- 1 garlic press
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 2½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs (or chicken breasts)
- 24 oz. mushrooms (washed and sliced)
- 1 head garlic (pressed – about 14 cloves)
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce (or coconut aminos for soy free)
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth (no sugar or dextrose added)
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- ½ cup fresh parsley (chopped)
How To Cook Chicken Thighs
- Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Then place the chicken thighs into the pan. Brown them on both sides. The color you achieve on this step is the color you will have in the finished dish. So if you want that golden brown look, you'll want to do a good job of browning the chicken now.
- Add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook until wilted.
- Once wilted, add in the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until the chicken is fully cooked. (At least 165 F.)
Creamy Sauce For Chicken
- Pour in the chicken broth.
- Add in the yogurt.
- Stir well to combine all the sauce ingredients.
- Stir in the fresh parsley.
- Serve by itself, over rice, quinoa or even noodles.