As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
For a long time, I bought the Tahini Sauce that Trader Joe’s sells. I loved that stuff! You can eat it with crackers or veggies or make delicious hummus with it.
But one day, I managed to actually read the ingredient list (duh!) and found citric acid listed. So it got me thinking about making a true, clean eating tahini sauce recipe.
I’ve read that people are starting to talk about citric acid being not-so-naturally derived and even the possibility that most citric acid may now be a GMO! I don’t know of any studies to back this up, but until I do find more information, I thought it would be prudent to avoid it for now.
But that left me with a bigger issue… WHAT WOULD I DO WITHOUT TAHINI?????!!!! <gasp!!>
I knew I could make my own, and I knew it wasn’t overly complicated. So with a certain level of confidence, I entered my kitchen and made my first batch. To my dismay, I ended up with a bunch of oily seeds. Not the tahini sauce that I had envisioned.
I lamented pitifully about it on Facebook a few times. And finally, a reader mentioned that you have to blend the seeds while they are hot.
Now this was a tip that I wasn’t going to pass up. Simple things like that can often make a world of difference in a recipe. So I gathered up my courage and tried again. SUCCESS!!!!!
So the moral of the story is, if you can’t figure out what went wrong, complain about it on Facebook. Because somebody will more than likely have an answer for you!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE CLEAN EATING RECIPES:
- Clean Eating Hummus
- Clean Eating Sun Dried Tomato And Olive Hummus
- Clean Eating Zucchini Hummus – Paleo Friendly!!
CLEAN EATING TAHINI SAUCE RECIPE
Clean Eating Tahini Sauce
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium lemons juiced
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder OR 6 cloves fresh garlic, peeled
- ½ cup water
- salt to taste after blending
- Bake the sesame seeds at 350 F. for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately pour into your blender while the seeds are still hot.
- Blend until it get thick and sticks to the sides.
- Add in all other ingredients and blend until you have a smooth sauce.
- Transfer to a storage container and chill for at least 2 hours so it can thicken.