If you love meatloaf but you’re busy, this clean eating slow cooker meatloaf recipe cooks itself in your slow cooker!
I couldn’t help but do another slow cooker recipe before the season ends.
Mini Chef is down for the count with a head cold and bad congestion and I’m fighting seasonal allergies right and left (thank you, San Francisco Bay Area!). My husband is covering extra shifts at work for an employee who injured himself and I have about 90 recipes left to go for my upcoming super foods cookbook and less than 8 weeks to create them all. (June, 2012 release). So right now, the slow cooker is definitely my friend. Even with this incredibly beautiful weather we’re having right now. Blue skies and sunshine everywhere you look. In fact, I have to seriously question if we’ve even had a winter at all here in California. I swear we’ve had about 2 days of rain and not a drop more. But I digress…
I’m not sure why, but meatloaf is never the first thing I think of when I think about what to make for dinner. I just didn’t grow up with, so it’s not something I crave or remember from my childhood. I do like it, I just never think to make it. But that’s all changed because this recipe is now a family favorite, me included.
While several of my slow cooker recipes require only a relatively short cooking time, this one will cook all day for you while you’re away at work (up to 10 hours!). And the longer it cooks, the better the house smells. It’s really pretty amazing stuff (she says, ever so humbly).
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE CLEAN EATING RECIPES:
CLEAN EATING SLOW COOKER MEATLOAF RECIPE:
Clean Eating Slow Cooker Meatloaf
- 3 lb. ground turkey
- 1 cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese (or 1/2 cup grated)
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- salt to taste after cooking
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well using your hands to knead.
- Lightly spray your slow cooker with a bit of olive oil and place the meat inside, molding it into a meatloaf form. (My slow cooker was a 5 quart.)
- Press your fingers between the meat and the edge of the slow cooker to bring the meat a finger's width away from the side of you insert. So basically, you are creating about a 1/2 inch space around the edge of the meat so that the sides of the meatloaf don't touch the sides of the slow cooker.
- Cook on Low for 8-10 hours. Slice into 18 pieces and serve with sweet potatoes and a vegetable for a complete, comfort food meal.