As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This lemon porridge is quite possibly the best, hot cereal breakfast!
When I lived in Germany, this lemon porridge was served as a very special breakfast, on very special occasions. Birthdays and holidays were always looked forward to in anticipation of this meal. I never knew cream of wheat could taste so good!
The thing about cream of wheat is that many people don’t realize that the regular stuff you buy in the grocery store is NOT whole grain. So don’t be fooled!
I had to go to the health food store and really search for some whole grain cream of wheat. But I did find it. It’s called Whole Grain Farina. The one I used is from Bob’s Red Mill. Great stuff!
If you manage to find it too, then you must absolutely give this recipe a try. It’s fabulous.
WHAT IS PORRIDGE?
If you’re like a lot of people, you may not know what porridge is, aside from something Goldilocks ate at the Three Bears house.
Porridge is typically made with starchy grains and is made by boiling them in milk or water. Of course, this is a very simple porridge that will need some flavoring. But that’s the basics of it. You could almost call oatmeal a porridge too. It’s basically just a hot cereal cooked with milk. While this recipe uses wheat, pretty much any starchy grain can be used. Feel free to get creative!
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
MORE HOT CEREAL RECIPES:
LEMON PORRIDGE RECIPE:
Lemon Porridge Recipe
- 1 cup milk (unsweetened almond milk works too)
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 4 large egg whites
- 6 tbsp. cream of wheat (whole wheat version)
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- Put milk in a small pot and bring to a boil, being sure to whisk constantly so the milk doesn't burn or boil over.
- Once your milk is boiling, add the cream of wheat, honey and lemon zest.
- The porridge will thicken in under 5 minutes. Stir constantly.
- When you are ready to remove the porridge from the heat, quickly stir in egg whites. Stir very quickly to evenly disperse the eggs.
- Immediately remove from heat and allow to sit and cool slightly before stirring once more.