This easy-to-make, clean eating hot chocolate mix works for your own pantry too!
This is a simple one guys. A clean, quick, easy and affordable mix you can give as a gift for the holidays!
Here’s the thing. Hot coco mix is typically a mixture of 3 ingredients (when made at home). Powdered milk, cocoa powder and sugar. You then add water to it to reconstitute everything.
But I just don’t see the point in all that. First of all, there’s nothing clean about powdered milk. And second, I’ve honestly never liked “watering down” my hot chocolate. I much prefer the richness that comes when making it with real milk, so I avoid anything that involves water like the plague when it comes to my hot chocolate. So does Mini Chef.
I enjoy keeping this mix around for my little guy. He loves “getting snuggly”. Give him a fireplace, a warm snuggly blanket and a cup of hot chocolate and he’s happy as a bug in a rug. Some of my favorite memories are of him laying in front of the fireplace at my mom’s house. He loves to set up his blankets in front of the fireplace and tuck him and his stuffies in underneath them. Then he stares into the fire as he sips his hot chocolate. He’s quite the little man in moments like those.
Just for fun, I created this free, printable gift tag to go with any package of this mix you might want to give as a gift this season. There are 4 tags per page. Just print, cut, punch a whole in the corner and slip onto the ribbon you attach to your gift. Click here for your labels.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE CLEAN EATING RECIPES:
You can find Sucanat at many health food stores or you can get it on amazon here: Sucanat (amazon affiliate link)
CLEAN EATING HOT CHOCOLATE MIX RECIPE:
Clean Eating Hot Chocolate Mix
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup Sucanat (affiliate link)
- Put both ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk to blend well.
- Do your best to smash larger clumps. You want the pieces to be as small and as close to a powder consistency as possible. Larger clumps will change the flavor of your hot chocolate and make it slightly more bitter. So break them up the best you can. This may take a minute or two.
- You can also put the ingredients in a plastic, Ziploc bag and mash it with your hands until the larger clumps are gone.
- To make chocolate milk, simply combine 1 tbsp. mix with 1 cup of milk (any kind).
- NOTE: This mix is purposefully not overly sweet. If you want a sweeter hot chocolate, I recommend adding more sucanat to your hot chocolate AFTER making it and pouring into mugs or cups. That way, each person can sweeten it to their own tastes.