As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This hot chocolate with coconut milk is rich, creamy and it’s hiding a secret!
I should warn you, this is like drinking pure, creamy, melted chocolate. It’s thick, rich, waaaaaaayyyy creamy, and will definitely satisfy any craving you could ever have for chocolate.
Recently, I received what seems like a lifetime supply of baking chocolate. So I started thinking about all the possibilities and I should just tell you that you may be seeing quite a few chocolate recipes coming your way over the course of the new year.
But I finally decided on making hot chocolate because Mini Chef and I had a planned afternoon of cookie baking. And what goes better with cookies than hot chocolate???
So we turned on some music (Dean Martin to be exact), and pulled out a big pot. But then it dawned on me that regular milk is not part of my eating plan any longer. So I grabbed a couple cans of light coconut milk, a little unsure of what the final result would be or if I would be left to drink an entire pot of coconut hot chocolate because Mini Chef didn’t like it.
Well, I can tell you that was NOT a problem! This chocolate was just so rich and dreamy-creamy that the two of us nearly ended up wrestling for the last few sips. Good thing he’s cute, or I would have tackled him for that last little bit.
I can’t even begin to describe really, the decadence that this chocolate produced in that pot. It was like a thousand angels decided to sprinkle magic chocolate dust into my pot. And with Mini Chef doing all the stirring, it was no bother at all to make!
I should warn you that this coconut hot chocolate is very thick and very creamy. It’s truly more like drinking melted chocolate instead of regular hot chocolate. I suppose you could add more coconut milk to tone it down a bit, but why would you want to do that???!!! And if you have some left over, you can always make delicious popsicles with this. It’s a win-win!
Please note, this should be served in small glasses and in small amounts. A little of this stuff goes a long way and will definitely soothe the chocolate-craving tiger in you!
I had some left over so I just stuck it in the fridge overnight thinking I would let Mini Chef have some after school the next day. Well, as far as happy accidents go, what I found the next day could not have made me any happier. It turned into pudding!!!!
HOT CHOCOLATE RECIPES:
HOT CHOCOLATE WITH COCONUT MILK:
Hot Chocolate with Coconut Milk
- 2 15 oz. cans light coconut milk
- 1 cup 100% pur cocoa baking chocolate (unsweetened)
- ¾ cup honey
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract (I used bourbon vanilla)
- 1 dash ground cinnamon (sprinkled over the top for serving)
- Pour the coconut milk into a pot and turn the heat on medium-low.
- Add in the chocolate and begin stirring. It will melt relatively quickly, but you must stir constantly to avoid it burning on the bottom of your pot.
- The more the chocolate melts, the more you can raise the heat. But be sure you NEVER turn the heat up all the way. You don't want to cook this on high. Medium high should be the highest you go. This should simmer rather than boil.
- When everything is melted and nicely combined, quickly stir in your vanilla extract and remove from heat.
- Add honey to taste (the above measurement was what tasted good to me. But you can adjust).
- Pour into cups and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
This recipe is from the Gracious Pantry archives. Originally posted 12/19/12.