The clean eating Hawaiian barbecue chicken sandwiches are a wonderful summer meal!
One of the tough parts about heading back to school is that it’s usually still hot out, at least in this part of California it is. I can remember as a kid, heading back to school was all about autumn, sweaters and pumpkins starting to arrive in the stores. There’s just something about the nostalgia of being in school when the days are still slightly warm, the nights are chilly and the fall harvests are evident in every store you walk into.
But these days, it seems like kids start back to school way before summer is even over. Summer produce is still thriving and you would still rather spend your days off at the beach or the pool. So there seems to be a whole new category for Back To School recipes that make dinner easy while still enjoying those summer-time foods.
I love this slow cooker recipe. You’re using the fresh pineapple of summer, a slow cooker to beat the heat in the kitchen, and it’s still a wonderfully hearty and filling meal. Especially served with the Fresh Pineapple Chunks and Crinkle-Cut Carrots. Yum!!! Talk about an easy, “it’s-still-summer-but-we’re-back-in-school” dinner!
Note: This recipe is courtesy of eMeals, a meal planning service. If you would like to subscribe to their affordable meal plan service, here is more information on that.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE CLEAN EATING RECIPES:
CLEAN EATING HAWAIIAN BARBECUE CHICKEN SANDWICHES RECIPE:
Clean Eating Hawaiian Barbecue Chicken SandwichesPrint Pin Rate
- SANDWICH INGREDIENTS:
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 lb. skinless bone-in chicken breasts
- 1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 6 oz. canned tomato paste
- 3 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch (or arrowroot powder
- 6 standard whole grain hamburger buns (I like Alvarado Street Bakery buns from Whole Foods)
- EXTRA & OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 medium cored, fresh pineapple (cut into chunks)
- 16 oz. package, crinkle-cut carrots (or use baby carrots)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add chicken.
Brown chicken 3 to 4 minutes; place in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker.
- Top chicken with onion.
- Whisk together pineapple juice, tomato paste, soy sauce and vinegar; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on Low 5 to 6 hours; remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with 2 forks.
- Stir cornstarch into sauce in slow cooker; increase slow cooker heat to High and cook, uncovered, 30 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
- Spoon chicken onto buns; top with sauce.Serve pineapple chunks and carrots with sandwiches if using.