As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These homemade chocolate turtles make a wonderful gift or even treat for yourself!
Sometimes, a girl needs chocolate. There is something downright visceral about it. A craving unlike anything else. Almost like your cells need chocolate to survive another day. Am I right? We have the Aztecs to thank for this deliciousness, and I for one, am thankful on very nearly a regular basis. I also have a love affair with chocolate turtles. I mean, who doesn’t like a good chocolate turtle?
Most chocolate turtles will have some sort of caramel in a layer under the chocolate. But I don’t find it to be necessary. These are just as good without it and definitely hit the spot every time. And far be it from me to tell anybody that they can’t have a treat such as chocolate on their clean eating diet. I would be quite the hypocrite because frankly, I just couldn’t stop eating these!
That’s right, even on a clean eating diet, it’s important to give yourself a treat every now and again. The last thing you want is to feel like you’re on a diet. That’s a dirty, four-letter word in my book! So the occasional treat is important, in my humble opinion, for the purpose of general sanity. Am I right?!
More Healthy Treats
Homemade Chocolate Turtles Recipe
Homemade Chocolate Turtles
- 4 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
- 3 tbsp. brown rice syrup
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 108 medium almonds (I used raw almonds – 6 for each turtle)
- Melt chocolate in microwave for 2 minutes. Stir. (Or, melt in a slow cooker on low heat until melted)
- Continue melting chocolate in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each one.
- When you have very small clumps left, stop microwaving and just stir until the chocolate melts completely.
- Stir in brown rice syrup and honey.
- Portion out 6 almonds for each turtle on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Pour approximately 2 tsp. chocolate over each cluster of nuts.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Storage: Keep in refrigerator.