This banana popsicles recipe is a simple, tasty dessert and a fast way to impress your friends, family and kids while still keeping things healthy.
You can roll these in any number of toppings or even melt the chocolate to give the bananas a complete, chocolate coating. Either way, these are delicious! And with summer coming up, I try to limit Mini Chef’s intake of store-bought ice cream by keeping healthy, real-food treats in the freezer at all times.
It’s a nice thing to fall back on if I really want something sweet as well. Definitely lower carb, but if I’m really craving something sweet, it beats getting off the clean eating track! You don’t even need measurements for this. The ingredient list below is just a suggestion. Have fun with this one!
WHAT KIND OF BANANAS SHOULD YOU USE FOR BANANA POPSICLES?
The best bananas for this particular type of recipe are bananas that are just a hair past the yellow stage. They shouldn’t be totally brown (and definitely not black!), but you don’t want them perfectly yellow either. (And definitely not green!). The ripeness will affect the flavor of your banana popsicles. So choose bananas that are just starting to get some brown spots. Nothing more.
HOW LONG CAN YOU FREEZE BANANAS?
Peeled bananas, such as in this recipe, will last about two months in the freezer. So you can make a larger batch of these and enjoy them for several weeks!
POPSICLE TOPPING IDEAS:
Need more ideas for what toppings to roll bananas in? Here’s a list!
- Dark chocolate chips
- Walnuts, chopped
- Almonds, chopped
- Pecans, chopped
- Dried cranberries, fruit juice sweetened is the healthiest. I get them at whole foods
- Sprinkles, if you don’t mind the processed sugar
- Melted chocolate
- Ground cinnamon and unprocessed sugar such as Sucanat or coconut sugar
MORE HEALTHY DESSERT RECIPES:
BANANA POPSICLES RECIPE:
- Yellow bananas (There should be some brown spots on the peel)
- Nuts, chopped (whatever kind you like)
- Cocoa nibs or dark chocolate chips (I used the Enjoy Life brand. They are the cleanest I can find.)
- Popsicle sticks (you can get these at most craft stores)
- Peel the bananas and cut them in half.
- Push a popsicle stick into the center, and then roll them in whatever toppings you have chosen.
- Place on a flat surface like a plate or small cookie sheet and freeze overnight.
- Keep in freezer until you are ready to eat them.
- Note: If you want to be fancy, melt some chocolate and dip the bananas in that. THEN roll them in the nuts.
Recipe from the Gracious Pantry archives, originally posted 7/16/15.