This avocado pesto alfredo recipe is a wonderful, diary free alternative for pasta night!
Truth be told, I originally made this sauce to go over Zoodles (zucchini noodles). It was absolutely, out-of-this-world delicious! But Mini Chef hasn’t quite adjusted to the idea of eating Zoodles yet, so I actually served this avocado pesto alfredo sauce over regular noodles. The dish in the photo above was Mini Chef’s lunch the next day. But no matter what you serve this on, it’s DEEEEEEEEE-licious!!!! And not a drop of dairy!
I’m really trying to incorporate more veggies into our eating plan, so veggies noodles are my fav with this sauce so far. But I leave the final decision about what type of pasta you want to use, to you.
CREAMY PASTA SAUCE:
A good, creamy pasta sauce does not have to come from dairy. The avocados in this sauce create the creamy base and I promise, you won’t miss the dairy at all!
WHAT DOES ALFREDO TASTE LIKE?
Traditional Alfredo is a rich, creamy white sauce with garlic, cream, butter and parmesan or some other cheese added. It’s not an overwhelming flavor at all, for the most part. But it is definitely very, very rich stuff. There is a reason they call Alfredo pasta a “heart attack on a plate”. It’s no joke!
This particular sauce has the creamy texture with a flavor that really leans towards the basil, garlic and lemon. The avocado flavor is understated and the pesto flavor comes shining through.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FETTUCCINE AND ALFREDO?
Many people are obviously confused about this because it comes up as a frequently asked question on google. But the answer is easy enough! The fettuccine is the pasta (or more specifically, the particular shape of the pasta) while the Alfredo is the rich, creamy sauce.
IS ALFREDO SAUCE THE SAME AS BECHAMEL?
While similar, they are not the same.
- Bechamel is made with milk and that milk is often infused with seasonings. It is made with a roux (flour and butter).
- Alfredo sauce is typically made with cream and does not contain a roux.
MORE CLEAN EATING RECIPES:
CLEAN EATING AVOCADO PESTO ALFREDO RECIPE:
Clean Eating Avocado Pesto Alfredo
- 2 medium avocados (I used Hass avocados)
- 1/2 cup packed, fresh basil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- salt to taste
- water as needed
- Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and blend with an immersion blender (or, blend in a regular blender) until smooth.
- Add water to reach your desired consistency.
- Once smooth, transfer to a food-safe container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
This recipe from the Gracious Pantry archives, originally posted 11/21/12.