This roasted red pepper bisque is a wonderfully creamy soup without any dairy!
I’m always looking for new soups to try. Something to make me warm and comfy on a cold, rainy night. I had heard of this type of soup before but never gave it a try. Silly me.
It’s creamy, savory and just perfect for the chilly weather that’s recently set in here. Serve hot with a small slice of homemade, whole grain garlic bread if you like, but do give this a try.
Now I should mention that all the photos I’ve seen of this soup show the soup as being red in color. Maybe my peppers weren’t red enough, but I got the beautiful gold color above. But color aside, I love this soup! It’s dairy free and full of good-for-you ingredients. Typically, a bisque has a shellfish base to it. But some creamy soups are also referred to as bisques. Especially when made from vegetables, fruits or mushrooms.
Note that you can also use heavy cream instead of coconut milk if you prefer. But it’s delicious with the coconut milk.
WHAT IS A BISQUE
A bisque is a creamy, rich soup that is smooth in texture. It is typically made with some sort of seafood, but these days, pretty much anything rich and creamy can be a bisque. The sticking point is that it has to be smooth in consistency. If anything is chunky, it then becomes a chowder instead.
HOW TO ROAST A PEPPER
RED PEPPER RECIPES:
Want more recipes that use red peppers? Here’s a list for ya!
- Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe
- Chicken & Peppers Sheet Pan Dinner Recipe
- Instant Pot Lentil Tortilla Stew Recipe
- Southwestern Quinoa Bowl Recipe
- Sweet Potatoes O’Brien Recipe
- Slow Cooker Tortilla Chicken Stew Recipe
- Roasted Red Pepper & Walnut Pesto Recipe
- Garden Tomato Salad Recipe
- Onion Pepper & Pineapple Pizza Recipe
- Red Vegetable Chicken Skillet Recipe
CLEAN EATING ROASTED RED PEPPER BISQUE RECIPE:
Clean Eating Roasted Red Pepper Bisque
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried cilantro
- 1 stick dried lemongrass (remove after cooking - before blending)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 cup chicken broth (no sugar added)
- 1 cup unsweetened full-fat coconut milk (you can use light coconut milk, but the soup will be more brothy than creamy)
- 3 large red bell peppers (roasted and diced)
- salt to taste
- In a medium pot, saute´ the herbs and onions in the oil until the onions are translucent.
- Add the chicken broth, coconut milk and bell peppers and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.Remove lemon grass stick and discard.
- Use either a stick blender, or cool the soup down a bit and then transfer to a blender.
- Blend soup until smooth.Serve with some whole grain toast or garlic bread.
This recipe from the Gracious Pantry archives, originally posted 1/10/17.