I’m always looking for new soups to try. Something to make me warm and comfy on a cold, rainy night. I had heard of this type of soup before but never gave it a try. Silly me.
It’s creamy, savory and just perfect for the chilly weather that’s recently set in here. Serve hot with a small slice of homemade, whole grain garlic bread if you like, but do give this a try.
Now I should mention that all the photos I’ve seen of this soup show the soup as being red in color. Maybe my peppers weren’t red enough, but I got the beautiful gold color above. But color aside, I love this soup! It’s dairy free and full of good-for-you ingredients. Typically, a bisque has a shellfish base to it. But some creamy soups are also referred to as bisques. Especially when made from vegetables, fruits or mushrooms.
Note that you can also use heavy cream instead of coconut milk if you prefer. But it’s delicious with the coconut milk.
DON’T KNOW HOW TO ROAST A PEPPER? IT’S EASY!!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried cilantro
- 1 stick dried lemongrass
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 cup chicken broth, no sugar added
- 1 cup unsweetened full fat coconut milk (you can use light, but the soup will be more brothy than creamy)
- 3 large red bell peppers, roasted and diced
- Salt to taste
- In a medium pot, saute the herbs and onions in the oil until the onions are translucent.
- Add the chicken broth, coconut milk and bell peppers and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove lemon grass stick and discard.
- Use either a stick blender, or cool the soup down a bit and then transfer to a blender. Blend soup until smooth.
- Serve with some whole grain toast or garlic bread.