As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Almond Honey Cookies are a light, delicious cookie that is flourless, gluten-free, and vegetarian. These soft cookies are not only healthy and delicious but also perfect for anyone who suffers from allergies or intolerance. They are a perfect holiday treat!
I love this recipe for its simplicity. This is another one of the cookie recipes I learned to bake in Germany during the holiday season.
Anybody new to baking with almond flour or almond meal may have a few questions. Let’s cover a few of them really quickly.
Is Almond Meal The Same As Almond Flour?
No, they are different. Almond meal is made from raw, unpeeled almonds. Almond flour is made from blanched almonds. Flour typically has a smoother texture and is better for baking.
Can Almond Flour Be Substituted For Regular Flour?
No. Regular flour contains gluten and absorbs liquid. Almond flour has no gluten and absorbs no liquid. They are two very different flours that are not interchangeable.
Can You Use Almond Meal Instead Of Almond Flour?
Yes, you can. However, anything made with an almond meal will be a bit more coarse in texture.
About Honey Almond Cookies
This is an authentic German recipe. It is essentially a meringue cookie with ground almonds mixed in. They are soft and spongy, nutty, and slightly sweet. They are great for kids and adults alike. (Not for kids under 1 year of age due to the honey).
Originally, these cookies were made by spooning the cookie mixture onto “Oblaten”, which are paper-like, edible wafers. These Oblaten really don’t add any flavor to the cookies, but they do offer the benefit of a stable “foundation” for a cookie like this. You can find Oblaten all over Europe, and in European food markets here in the states. You can order them online as well from Amazon.com. You’ll find the link below. However, they are not critical if you line your cookie sheet with parchment paper.
To make this recipe easy, I highly recommend using an electric mixer to beat the egg whites. You can also use a stand mixer, which will make the egg whites and then mix in the remaining ingredients as well. Just be sure to stir gently when adding to the egg whites. You want to keep as much air in them as possible.
Gluten-Free Cookie Recipes
If gluten-free cookies are the only way you roll, these cookies will be perfect! I also have a few other gluten-free cookie recipes you might like to try. Check these out too!
Quote from a reader:
“I just had to share with you…..I made your almond cookies yesterday. My 18mo. old who still only has a few words – stood at the counter pointing to the cookies and kept saying “more, more, more”. A huge hit and I certainly didn’t mind giving her more “clean” cookies! For dessert, we all crumbled some cookies over fresh strawberries..yum!”
- Almond extract – While I have never added anything extra to this cookie recipe, some folks might enjoy a stronger almond flavor. These are nutty but mild. If that’s you, you can add a half teaspoon of almond extract to the dough.
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla extract is another addition some people may enjoy. If you want to try it, you could add one half to one full teaspoons of pure vanilla extract to the batter.
- Whole Almonds – If you want to garnish your cookies, you can top them with whole almonds or slivered almonds just prior to baking. Simply lay a single almond or sliver of almond on the center of each cookie. This will leave a small indentation in the tops of your cookies, but it looks great!
Almond Honey Cookie Ingredients
(Print recipe from recipe card at the bottom of this post)
1½ cups ground almonds – While we ground our own almonds in Germany (and you can do the same in a food processor), either almond flour or almond meal will work here.
¾ cup honey – I prefer clover honey, but use whatever honey you have handy.
4 large egg whites – Save the yolks for something else.
How To Make Almond Honey Cookies
In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
In a second bowl mix almonds and honey.
Scoop nut mixture into the egg whites and fold until well mixed. do not over mix. The moment mixture is combined, stop mixing.
Using a regular teaspoon (not a measuring teaspoon), scoop small clumps onto round edible wafers, or directly onto prepared baking sheets.
Place the sheet pans in the oven on the lowest shelf at 350 F. for 10-15 minutes. Should be lightly brown when done.
Using a spatula, transfer to a wire rack for cooling.
How To Store Almond Honey Cookies
Keep these in an airtight container and store them in the fridge.
These do not freeze well.
Need Recipe Supplies?
More Healthy Cookie Recipes
Almond Honey Cookies Recipe Card
Almond Honey Cookies
- 1½ cups ground almonds
- ¾ cup honey
- 4 large egg whites
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In a second bowl mix almonds and honey.
- Scoop nut mixture into the egg whites and fold until well mixed. do not over mix. The moment mixture is combined, stop mixing.
- Using a regular teaspoon (not a measuring teaspoon), scoop small clumps onto round edible wafers, or directly onto prepared baking sheets.
- Place in oven on lowest shelf at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Should be lightly brown when done.