This quinoa chili recipe is made using all pantry ingredients and comes together in 20 minutes!
With all the crazy going on in the world right now, many people are turning to their pantries for meals. With many of us being on lockdown, it’s likely that fresh foods will run out pretty quickly. Especially if we plan on avoiding the stores for any significant amount of time.
So many people in my area are not taking this stuff seriously, but not me. Me and Mini Chef are staying home for as long as it takes! That means I’m also avoiding going to the store for as long as humanly possible. So while I still have some fresh food in the fridge, I’m also turning to my pantry trying to figure out what to make for dinner.
VEGETARIAN CHILI OR VEGAN CHILI
This recipe is not vegetarian, but if you prefer a vegetarian or vegan version, it’s super simple to make that happen. Simply use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Easy!
This chili is easily topped with many different chili toppings. If you have the extras in the fridge, here are some ideas for mix-ins or toppings for you quinoa chili.
- Raw, chopped onions
- Grated cheddar cheese
- A dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Chopped avocado
- Chopped, fresh cilantro
HOW TO MAKE QUINOA CHILI
So the basic trick here is that you will be making the quinoa to package directions, but you will sub the water with the broth of your choice and add all the other ingredients in as well. It’s super simple! My quinoa package said to mix water and quinoa in a pot, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook with a lid on for 20 minutes. So instead of water, I used chicken broth, added all the ingredients into the pot and cooked with the lid on for 20 minutes.
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
MORE CLEAN EATING RECIPES:
QUINOA CHILI RECIPE:
Quinoa Chili Recipe
CLICK TO WATCH THIS RECIPE IN ACTION!
- 1 cup tri-color quinoa (regular white works too)
- 4 cups chicken broth (no sugar added, low sodium is best)
- 28 oz. canned diced tomatoes (fire roasted or regular)
- 30 oz. canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 lb. browned, ground turkey or beef
- Rinse your quinoa in a fine-meshed sieve. Even if the package says it's pre-rinsed, you'll still want to rinse it to avoid any off-putting flavors. Rinse it really well!
- Add all your ingredients (including any additions you want to add) to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook for about 20 minutes (or however long your quinoa package instructs).
- Add any toppings or mix-ins (mentioned in my blog post) and serve.