As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you want to enjoy a cocktail without the alcohol this holiday season, this mojito mocktail recipe is the perfect drink to put you in the holiday spirit.
You don’t need alcohol to enjoy a good mojito. Mix the right ingredients, and it’s actually a very refreshing, non-alcoholic beverage you can enjoy as much of as you like!
What Is A Mojito?
A classic mojito is a cocktail that is typically made with white rum, lime, sugar, mint, ice, and sparkling water. This traditional mojito is served over ice cubes and is a delicious drink that is quite refreshing.
Mojitos originated in Cuba and actually started out as medicine, using a very crude form of rum. Drink enough of them, and you’d think they were medicine too! Haha!
Virgin Mojito Mocktail
This drink offers all the flavors of fresh mint and lime juice, without the alcohol.
What Sweeteners Can I Use In A Mojito?
Mojitos are typically made with regular sugar or simple syrup, not natural sweetener. But since we try to avoid things like that around here, here are some healthier options.
- Maple syrup
You can try making your own simple syrup using unprocessed sugars like coconut sugar or monk fruit. But they tend to give the drink a rather unpleasant brownish color.
How To Use A Muddler
A muddler is what you use to “mash” the mint and lime. Typically, you’ll do that with the alcohol to help flavor the alcohol. It’s kind of like a pestle that is used without a mortar. You can use it directly in a glass. (See the Amazon image below to see what it looks like).
What If I Don’t Have A Muddler?
Not to worry. I didn’t use one either. While they do make the whole process a whole lot easier, they are not critical to making a mojito. So what can you use instead?
- A wooden spoon or the end of a wooden spoon works best.
- A mortar and pestle.
- A wooden meat tenderizer.
- A French rolling pin.
How To Muddle Your Virgin Mojito
The idea here is simply to mash your mint. In a pinch, I’ll just rip and squish the leaves by hand. But if you have a muddler, you can mash some fresh lime slices or wedges and the fresh mint right in your glass.
Remember, you aren’t trying to pulverize the mint, you just want to mash some of the flavor out.
Virgin Mojito Variations
There are many different ways to make a mojito. Here are some of the things you can add to get different flavors. Try different fresh fruit and fruit juices:
- Use lemon juice instead of lime
- Add pineapple juice
- Muddle some fresh strawberries
- Muddle some fresh watermelon
- Add mango juice or muddle some fresh mango
- Muddle some fresh blackberries
- Muddle some fresh raspberry
- Add some pomegranate juice
Mojito Mocktail Recipe Notes
- I used a small amount of sweetener and then increased the sweetness using stevia. You don’t have to do this, but you will want to increase the sweetener to your own tastes either way.
- You can increase or decrease the amount of mint to your liking.
- Any of the above variations should be in addition to the recipe, except if replacing the lime juice with lemon juice.
- Use fresh limes, fresh mint and soda water that is plain or lime flavored. Fresh is best for flavor!
Mojito Mocktail Ingredients:
5 fresh mint leaves – plus extra for garnish
2 tsp. maple syrup – You can use honey instead, substitute with stevia or use a combination of both.
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice – This is best if it’s fresh-squeezed, but bottled will work too.
1 can lime-flavored sparkling water – (12 oz. can) You can use unsweetened, lime-flavored sparkling water, or use plain sparkling water and double up on the lime juice. You can also use club soda.
3-5 drops pure liquid stevia – This is totally dependent on taste. Use as much or as little as you like. If you omit it, use more of the other sweetener, to taste.
Ice cubes or crushed ice
How To Make A Mojito Mocktail?
Add the lime juice to the bottom of a glass.
Add the sweetener.
Add the fresh mint leaves and muddle them a bit in the bottom of the glass.
Add some of the sparkling water and muddle a bit further to really release the flavor of the mint. Then add the rest of the sparkling water. I used a full can.
Add ice cubes.
Garnish with lime zest or a lime wedge if you so choose. This is optional.
Serve and sip. Store any leftovers in the fridge.
Need Recipe Supplies For This Mojito Mocktail?
More Holiday Drink Recipes
Remember to subscribe to my free newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox. Click here to sign up!
Virgin Mojito Recipe
CLICK TO WATCH THIS RECIPE IN ACTION!
- A glass or mug (at least a pint size or larger)
- 5 medium fresh mint leaves
- 2 tsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 12 oz. can lime sparkling water
- pure liquid stevia to taste (optional)
- Add the lime juice to a cup or mug.
- Add the sweetener.
- Add the fresh mint leaves and muddle them a bit.
- Add some of the sparkling water and muddle a bit further to really release the flavor of the mint. Then add the rest of the sparkling water. I used a full can.
- Add ice cubes.
- Garnish with lime zest if you so choose. This is optional.
- Serve and sip.