These flourless brownies are also dairy free and stuffed with fiber!
Made with sweet potatoes, these brownies are soft, mildly sweetened and actually quite filling! They are excellent with a glass of milk (or plant-based milk, if you prefer) and are a wonderful snack or dessert.
ARE BROWNIES GLUTEN FREE?
Generally speaking, no they are not. Regular brownies are made with wheat flour which the source of gluten. However, brownies can be made without flour, as you will see here!
HOW TO MAKE FLOURLESS BROWNIES
Brownies are wonderful, in that they don’t need flour for structure. There are many different approaches to making a flourless brownie. This recipe is certainly not the only way. I have a coconut flour version here if you prefer. The trick with flourless brownies is to get your batter a bit more on the thick and dry side so that they bake properly, and then allow some time after baking to let them set and “dry out” a bit.
These actually come together quit quickly. Though you’ll need to cook your sweet potato ahead of time, once that’s done, these come together in about 5-10 minutes, depending on how fast you work. This is a “one bowl” recipe. Everything gets combined in one bowl, and then transferred to a greased dish for baking. You don’t need any special equipment. A fork, wooden spoon or even strong, hand-held beater will work here.
My baking pan was actually a casserole dish, but a baking pan will work as well.
IMPORTANT: If your baking pan is thinner than a typical casserole dish, shorten your cooking time to 20 minutes, and check it every 5 minutes after that. As with most baked goods, a knife should pull out clean when it is done baking. It will look a bit moist, but it shouldn’t pull any batter out.
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
HEALTHY BROWNIE RECIPES:
FLOURLESS BROWNIES RECIPE
- 6 x 9 casserole dish or baking pan
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato (skin removed)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I use Lily's or Enjoy Life)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Whisk together all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, making sure to mash up the sweet potato as much as possible. The batter should be thick when fully mixed.
- Transfer to a baking dish and smooth the thick batter out as evenly as possible of your baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove from oven and allow to cool completely. These are best if chilled in the fridge overnight, but it's not absolutely necessary. Just note they will be very soft if eaten right after baking. Sitting allows them to solidify completely.
- Cut into 8 pieces and serve.