This slow cooker curry lentil soup cooks for ten hours while you do other things. You’ll come home to a delicious, tummy-warming dinner!
Some days just seem to go on forever. You look up at the clock and it says the same time it said an hour ago, and you know the batteries aren’t dead. But other days…
On other days, there just are not enough hours in the days. We run, run, run just to realize we still don’t have enough time to get everything finished. Those are the days this recipe was made for.
What Is Curry Lentil Soup?
While this does have some curry flavor, I wouldn’t consider this an Indian dish. It definitely has that sort of flavor, but I guess you could say it’s pretty Americanized.
The curry flavor here is mild and the soup is comforting. It’s filling and full of good nutrition. You can make it vegan/vegetarian or not, depending on the broth you use. It’s just a tasty, all-around lentil soup. It also makes a large amount so you can freeze some for future meals.
What To Serve With Slow Cooker Curry Lentil Soup
- Flatbread is wonderful with this soup.
- A green side salad.
- Rice, either on the side or mixed in.
- Ladled over a baked sweet potato or regular baked potato.
Other Methods For Making Curry Lentil Soup
- Stovetop – You can make this on the stovetop in a large stock pot. Prepare everything according to the recipe, but instead of putting it in a slow cooker, cook it on the stove. You’ll want to keep the soup at a simmer and watch the liquid content as it cooks. You may need to add more.
- Instant Pot – You can also cook this in an Instant Pot, but you’ll need to cut the recipe in half so it will fit. Sauté the vegetables directly in the IP on sauté mode. Then add everything else, secure the lid, and set the IP to high pressure. Adjust the time with manual mode to 10 minutes. Note that the older your lentils are, the longer cooking time they will need. If 10 minutes isn’t enough, simply replace the lid after checking them, and cook in 5 to 10-minute intervals until the lentils are done.
How To Store Curry Lentil Soup
This will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Any portion of the soup left over after that should be frozen.
How Long Can You Freeze Lentil Soup For?
This soup will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months. This is a great soup to freeze in portioned, single servings.
How To Thaw Lentil Soup
The easiest way to thaw this is in the microwave or in a pot on the stovetop.
What You’ll Need
Oil – This can be any oil you usually like to sauté with. I used coconut oil, but use what works for you.
Carrots – I used baby carrots because that’s what I had on hand. If you have full-size carrots, use the skinniest ones you have in the bunch. Peel them, and slice them thin.
Celery – Slice these thin.
Red onion – These should be chopped very small for a better texture in the finished soup.
Garlic powder – I used garlic granules because that’s what I had on hand. But garlic powder is what people usually have. Either will work.
Dry brown lentils – You’ll want to rinse these first and check for any dirt clumps or rocks. Rinse in a fine-meshed sieve or colander.
Ground coriander – This is optional, but adds a nice flavor, even in that small amount.
Vegetable broth – You can also use chicken broth if you prefer. Look for broth with no added sugar or dextrose and opt for low sodium if you can.
Canned diced tomatoes – These are just plain, diced tomatoes in a can. Do not use fire-roasted tomatoes. Just the plain variety is what you want here.
How To Make Slow Cooker Curry Lentil Soup
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the carrots, celery, and onion.
Sauté until the onions are translucent.
Transfer the vegetables to your slow cooker insert.
Add the spices.
Add the lentils.
Add the broth.
Add the tomatoes.
Stir to combine everything, then secure the lid and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Serve with your favorite flatbread!
For this recipe, you’ll need a good slow cooker that you trust to cook while you are gone, and a ladle to serve it up! You’ll also want a good cutting board and knife for chopping. You can click on either of the items here below to be taken to that product on Amazon. (Affiliate links)
More Healthy Soup Recipes
Slow Cooker Curry Lentil Soup Recipe Care + Video
Slow Cooker Curry Lentil Soup
CLICK TO WATCH THIS RECIPE IN ACTION!
- Slow Cooker (minimum 5½ qt)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 ½ cups chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 cups dry brown lentils (rinsed before use)
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 10 cups vegetable broth
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the oil, and then the carrots, celery and onion. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Transfer to your slow cooker insert and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low 10 hours.