These sweet and sour meatballs are a great side for rice and veggies or even a meatball stir fry!
Meatballs are a classic party food. Put a try out with some toothpicks, and most of your guests will be quite happy.
But these are also great for a special dinner any time. There’s just something about a tray of meatballs that ways, “This is a special dinner. Something out of the ordinary“, don’t you think?
This idea actually came from my favorite store, Trader Joe’s. One of the clerks there recommended the combination to my mother-in-law. She told me about it and I just could not get the idea out of my head. So a couple weeks later, I tried a clean version. My or my. It was definitely a great dinner! Yum!
MORE HEALTHY MEATBALL RECIPES:
SWEET AND SOUR MEATBALLS RECIPE:
- 3 lb. ground turkey
- 2 tbsp. onion powder
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 9 oz. jar apricot 100% fruit spread (no sugar added)
- 2 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper, or spray them with a light coat of olive oil using an oil sprayer.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the turkey, onion powder and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Using your hands, roll small, walnut sized meatballs and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked through. A meat thermometer should read between 165-175 degrees F.
- While they are in the oven, put all the glaze ingredients into a small pot and warm over low-medium heat. Stir constantly.
- When the meatballs are done, put them into a large mixing bowl (please don't burn yourself!) and pour the glaze over them. Mix gently to coat the meatballs.
- Note: If you cannot find apricot fruit spread, pick any flavor you'd like, so long as it's 100% fruit. It will still be really tasty.