As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This sweet potato smoothie is a deliciously sweet and filling way to start your morning!
I’m a little ashamed to admit that I totally got out of the smoothie game for a while. It wasn’t for any reason in particular, I just stopped making them for quite a while, and I’m wishing I hadn’t.
The truth is smoothies are a great way to get nutrients packed into your morning as you’re running out the door. They are fast and easy to make and travel well, making them a great breakfast on the run.
So recently, I got back into that smoothie game, and my mornings are looking better and better each and every time! This sweet potato smoothie recipe is my latest adventure, and boy, was it tasty! It almost tasted like pie!
I have gotten a lot of questions about smoothies in my ten years of blogging here on the Gracious Pantry, so I thought I’d address some of them here.
ARE SMOOTHIES ACTUALLY HEALTHY?
Yes and no. Confuse? Don’t be. A healthy smoothie is all about what you put into it. If we’re talking about one of those “smoothies” from the mall that has half a pound of sugar per cup, then no, they aren’t healthy. But if you’re making them at home with real food ingredients, then yes! They are wonderfully healthy! The one thing to keep in mind, however, is that when you break down the fibers in fruits and veggies, they get absorbed a lot better and quicker. “Better” is good, but “quicker” can be a problem for some people. Particularly anybody with blood sugar issues. So if that’s you, choose your smoothie ingredients wisely. Keep them filled with low glycemic index foods, and you’ll be much better off.
IS IT BAD TO HAVE A SMOOTHIE EVERY DAY?
This all depends on two things. Who you talk to, and what you put in your smoothies. If you enjoy your smoothies in normal portions, and make sure they have clean and healthy ingredients in them, then there is very little reason not to enjoy one each day. Again, some folks with certain medical issues may need to follow different advice. But all in all, a truly healthy smoothie is a wonderful way to get a bunch of nutrients into your day. After all, there are few other breakfasts that can pack in so many veggies in one serving!
WHAT’S THE BEST TIME TO DRINK A SMOOTHIE?
Normally, the morning is when you want to drink a smoothie for a couple of reasons:
- The quick absorption of many nutrients can give you a much-needed energy boost in the morning when you need it most.
- If your smoothie is higher in natural sugars, it gives you the majority of the day to work them off when you’re out running around.
Timing a smoothie about an hour before a morning workout will also help power you through that workout. A smoothie made with protein powder enjoyed after a workout is also a great way to replenish yourself after a good gym routine.
HOW SOON SHOULD YOU DRINK A SMOOTHIE AFTER MAKING IT?
In general, any fresh juice or smoothie should be enjoyed directly after making it. But that’s not always realistic. So if you need to make a smoothie and store it in the fridge, here are some tips on timing.
- Most smoothies will last for 12-24 hours, depending on what you put in them.
- Most will need some re-blending if it’s more towards the end of that 24 hours.
- In general, however, smoothies taste best within the first 12 hours. More than that, and the flavor will suffer in most cases.
SWEET POTATO SMOOTHIE TIPS:
- If you never feel full after a smoothie, try blending in some raw oats. You’ll be full for hours! (This is better done in a high-speed blender for texture)
- To thicken this smoothie, blend in ice or frozen banana.
- To thin out this smoothie, simply add more almond milk.
Remember to subscribe to my free Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
MORE HEALTHY SMOOTHIE RECIPES
SWEET POTATO SMOOTHIE RECIPE:
Sweet Potato Smoothie
- 1 Blender
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!