As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This southwestern turkey chili recipe is what you should make for dinner tonight!
I love a nice steaming bowl of good chili on a cold winter night. Few things can beat it. It makes everyone at the dinner table happy and fills up your tummy with good food and comfort.
Better still is when that chili is fairly quick and simple to make.
You can certainly make the recipe as stated, but I took a simple short cut, and there are a couple others you can take additionally if you prefer. Here’s what they are:
- I used a 1 lb. bag of frozen, tri-colored bell peppers I found at Trader Joe’s in place of the fresh bell peppers.
- If you don’t feel like peeling and chopping garlic, either buy it pre-peeled or use 3 tbsp. garlic powder. Sounds like a lot, but I actually ended up adding some anyway at the end just because I thought it tasted good.
- In theory, you could replace the onion with 3 tbsp. of onion powder. But I love the fresh onion in my chili, so I never do this. But it could work if you are short on time in the kitchen.
MORE HEALTHY CHILI RECIPES
SOUTHWESTERN TURKEY CHILI RECIPE:
Southwestern Turkey Chili Recipe
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 8 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- 10 oz. crimini mushrooms (washed and sliced)
- 2 lb. ground turkey
- 2 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 lb. corn kernels (frozen and organic to avoid GMO's)
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans (beans and liquid)
- 2 (28 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- cilantro (fresh, chopped - for garnish - optional)
- salt and pepper (to taste after cooking)
- In a large soup pot, use the oil to sauté the onions, garlic and mushrooms until wilted.
- Add the turkey to the pot and stir until browned.
- Add in all other ingredients and simmer for about 20-30 minutes or until the turkey is fully cooked.
- Cool slightly, season with salt and garnish with cilantro to serve.
- If this makes more than you can in in a few days, I recommend freezing this in single serving containers. It will freeze for up to 4 months in a freezer-safe container. Just make sure it's packed air-tight.