As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This pumpkin fries recipe is an easy way to get more of this nutritious food into your eating plan, the tasty way!
I love pumpkins. Everything about them is fabulous. I love them in all shapes, colors and sizes. I’m and equal opportunity pumpkin lover. No pumpkin is to big, warty or strangely shaped for me. I just love em’!
However, when it comes to eating pumpkin, I get a little pickier. Well, okay… a LOT pickier. The thing is, I’ve tried several different types of pumpkin in the kitchen, and I come back again and again to sugar pie pumpkins. And just in case you’re wondering, yes, those are the pumpkins they make pumpkin pie with.
They are naturally delicious and lend themselves well to just about any pumpkin recipe you can conceive of.
Did you know that pumpkins are actually a fruit? Because of their seeds, they are part of the gourd family which includes melons. There, now don’t you feel good having learned something about your food today? I know I do! Who knew fruit was so versatile??!!!
But I digress.
I actually have TWO pumpkin recipes for you today!! Can you stand it?!
If you can’t decide which one to make, do what I did. Divide the pumpkin in half and make both!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THIS CLEAN EATING RECIPE:
PUMPKIN FRIES RECIPE:
Pumpkin Fries Recipe
- 2 medium sugar pie pumpkins (approximately 8 cups when cut up)
SAVORY SPICE MIX
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
SWEET SPICE MIX
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (see link above)
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the pumpkins in half and remove the seeds.
- Remove the skins with a potato peeler. (Careful not to get your fingers!)
- Cut into strips, similar to french fries. They won't be perfect, but close enough. About 1/4 to 1/2 inch in thickness all the way around is perfect.
- Coat your pumpkin in desired spices. (See steps below)
SAVORY PUMPKIN FRIES
- Place your cut pumpkin and olive oil in a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon. of the spices.
- Toss by hand until the pumpkin is well coated in oil and spices.
SWEET PUMPKIN FRIES
- Place your cut pumpkin into a mixing bowl and sprinkle on your spices.
- Add maple syrup and toss by hand until your pumpkin is well coated with syrup and spices.
- Arrange the fries on a parchment lined cookie sheet so that they are in a single layer.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until the squash is soft and easily pierced with a fork.
This recipe from the Gracious Pantry archives, originally posted 10/10/10.