This lentils and rice recipe is delicious as a plant-based meal or even a wonderful side dish!
I’ve been going kind of crazy with my Instant Pot recipes lately. I’ve taken a part time job recently so my time in the kitchen is at a premium! That being said, this single mama is TIRED!! So spending a bunch of time in the kitchen isn’t something I have a lot of energy for anyway right now. A new job takes a little getting used to, so until I do get into the routine of things, I’m relying heavily on my Instant Pot. (No, I was not paid to promote Instant Pot. I just love mine!)
As many of you know, I went 100% plant based for about 2 years and I loved it! I felt so much better on the inside. So much “cleaner”. (It’s hard to put it into words, actually). But most of the recipes out there for the Instant Pot are anything but plant based. So I had to get a little creative. But you won’t catch me complaining! I’m no longer plant based, but I still enjoy many plant based meals, just like this one.
WHY USE AN INSTANT POT?
- Much like a slow cooker, it’s a “set-it-and-forget-it” type of appliance.
- It’s faster than a slow cooker.
- It cooks to perfection every single time.
- While you do have to get to know your IP in the beginning, once you do, it’s a breeze to use!
- You can sauté in it before you do any pressure cooking. Can’t do that in a slow cooker! Makes for easy, one-pot-meals!
- Very little clean up! (see previous bullet)
- If you absolutely WANT to use a slow cooker, the IP does that too!! (and a few other things like making yogurt!)
- There are very few things you CAN’T cook in an IP.
- It saves time in the kitchen.
- This recipe has sort of an “Indian” or “Moroccan” flare to it. The curry is mild, so there is almost no noticeable heat to the spice.
- A little salt goes a long way with this dish.
- It travels well for lunches.
- It’s a complete-protein meal all by itself thanks to the combo of rice and legumes.
- It’s a wonderful side dish if you aren’t plant-based.
Need Supplies?Here’s some of what I used to make this recipe.
More Healthy Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Lentils And Rice Recipe
Instant Pot Lentils And Rice
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped white mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 cup brown lentils (dry)
- 1 ½ cups brown basmati rice
- 3 ½ cups vegetable broth
- Put the red onion, bell pepper and mushrooms into the IP insert along with the oil.
- Press the sauté button.
- Sauté the vegetables until they are wilted and the onions are translucent.
- Add in the spices and stir.
- Add the lentils and rice and stir well to coat the rice with the spices.
- Finally, add in the broth and stir well.
- Press the OFF button on your IP. Put your lid on and close the vent, and then press the manual button.
- Adjust time to 24 minutes on high pressure.
- Allow a 15 minute natural release, then open the vent to release any remaining steam.
- Season with salt as needed and serve.