As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Italian Shepherd’s pie is a delicious switch from the traditional version.
Yes, I’m fully aware that Shepherd’s Pie is not an Italian dish. But this is basically a cross between a pot pie (the crust) and a shepherd’s pie.
Add some cheese and an Italian herb mix, and you’ll end up with something called an Italian shepherd’s pie. This makes perfect sense to me.
With this much cheese, I would consider this meal a “clean treat/cheat” meal, but I firmly believe we need those on occasion. I hope you’ll enjoy it.
How To Make Italian Shepherd’s Pie
This is actually a very easy recipe to make. The biggest part of this is making the pie crust, and that’s not a big deal either. I recommend making the pie crust first and setting that aside. You can even make it ahead of time if you really want to save some time when you get ready to make and serve this dish.
Get the pie crust into a pie pan and then work on the filling.
You’ll preheat your oven and then start cooking the filling on your stovetop. You’ll want to brown the meat and then add everything else (except the cheese). Once that’s all cooked, you’ll pour the meat mixture into the pie crust and top everything with cheese.
Pop it in the oven for 20 minutes, and dinner is served!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS:
Try serving this dish with a side salad or some veggies. You already have plenty of protein and carbs in this, so the only thing you’ll want more of for a balanced meal is some veggies. Steamed broccoli would be great here, as would green beans or cauliflower.
More Shepherd’s Pie Recipes
Italian Shepherd’s Pie Recipe Card
Italian Shepherd’s Pie
- 9 inch pie pan
- ½ batch whole grain pie crust (see recipe link above)
- 1½ lb. ground turkey
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1½ cups chopped red bell pepper
- 2½ cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Prepare your uncooked pie crust and have it sitting ready.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cook the turkey and bell pepper in the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the spices when the meat is almost done cooking.
- Pour the meat into the pie crust and top with cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and has a few golden brown spot.
- Allow to cool, slice and serve.
Recipe from the Gracious Pantry® archives, originally posted 9/12/12.