Yes, I’m fully aware that Shepherd’s Pie is not an Italian dish. But this is basically a cross between a pot pie (the crust) and a shepherd’s pie.
Add some cheese and Italian herb mix, and you end up with something called an Italian Shepherd’s Pie. Makes perfect sense to me….
Now with this much cheese, I would consider this meal a “clean treat/cheat” meal. But I firmly believe we need those on occasion. I hope you’ll enjoy it.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
Clean Eating Italian Shepherd’s Pie
(Makes 8 servings)
NOTE: This uses a 9 inch pie pan.
- 1/2 batch pie crust recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Italian herb mix (found in the spice aisle)
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 large, red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzerella, OR cheddar, OR a mix of the two
- Prepare your uncooked pie crust and have it sitting ready.
- Cook the turkey and bell pepper in the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the spices when the meat is almost done cooking.
- Pour the meat into the pie crust and top with cheese.
- Bake at 350 F. for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and has a few golden brown spot.
- Allow to cool, slice and serve.