Healthy Condensed Milk Recipe

This post may contain affiliate links. Read my Privacy Policy.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Looking for condensed milk that isn’t full of garbage? Try this clean eating condensed milk recipe!

One of the toughest conversions for me, aside from recipes that are heavily reliant on butter, are those recipes that call for condensed milk. After reading the ingredients on a condensed milk can, I just knew I’d never be able to convert anything that would even come close. But life has a funny way of proving me wrong on a fairly consistent basis. In this case, I didn’t mind one bit.

Clean Eating Condensed Milk in a white pitcher, ready to be used for any recipe calling for condensed milk.

With the last round of the No Sugar Challenge, Gale Compton over at Fit Fabulous Forever came up with an incredible alternative. It’s truly clean, and works amazingly well!

She made hers with regular milk. But since I can no longer have dairy, I tried this with both almond milk and soy milk. It worked equally well with both, with just a few minor differences.

MAKE THIS WITH REGULAR MILK
Here’s what Gale had to say about making this with regular milk:

Although I haven’t tried it with whole milk, I read when using whole milk and raisins, it thickens up into an almost yogurt like consistency. With low-fat, it gets only slightly thicker.

It’s very important to know that after 24 hours the milk should be discarded if not used. I tried it a few more times as an experiment, left it in the fridge for 48 hours and it turned into this nasty looking, smelly liquid. The time needs to be fairly precise.

MAKE THIS WITH ALMOND OR SOY MILK

If you prefer to make a non-dairy version, here’s how:

Soy milk will pretty much maintain its thickness, no matter how long you soak it for. I left the raisins in for about 36 hours and while it didn’t really thicken, it was amazingly sweet.

For almond milk, the milk will thicken nicely, pretty much to the consistency of soy milk, maybe just a slight bit thicker.

Note: With non-dairy versions, you can reuse your raisins for a second batch. Just be aware that the milk will not thicken at all with recycled raisins. Also, you don’t need to worry about spoilage after a certain amount of time, though with almond milk, there will be a small amount of separation as you can see in the photo above.

Also note: For extra sweetness, blend in the raisins using a blender or hand blender. You won’t believe just how sweet it can get!

Other uses for this are:
  • Smoothies
  • Ice cream
  • Coffee creamer (just add vanilla or another extract for flavoring)

Healthy Condensed Milk Recipe Card

Copyright Information For The Gracious Pantry
Clean Eating Condensed Milk

Healthy Condensed Milk

Have a recipe that calls for condensed milk? Make it yourself for a much healthier approach.
5 from 1 vote
Print Pin Rate Add to Collection
Course: Drinks
Cuisine: American
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 16 servings (1 tbsp. each)
Calories: 22kcal

Ingredients

• 1 cup milk
  • ½ cup raisins

Instructions

• In a storage container, combine both ingredients and set in the fridge for 24 hours.
  • Strain off the milk from the raisins and use the way you would use regular condensed milk!

Notes

Please note that the nutrition data below is a ballpark figure. Exact data is not possible.

Nutrition

Serving: 1tbsp. | Calories: 22kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 7mg | Potassium: 57mg | Vitamin A: 25IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 0.1mg

Similar Posts

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recipe Rating

58 Comments

1. I have the same feeling! I always thought that evaporated milk was the same as condensed milk, just unsweetened, but the texture is completely different. Thanks for the recipe!

1. Jessica – Hope you enjoy it! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. I wonder if it will carmelize like condensed milk does in baking????

I have made it once already and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

๐Ÿ™‚

1. Cindy – I’m not sure, but it’s worth a shot!

3. Melissa Miller says:

OMG no way its that easy!!! NICE thanks so much ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Melissa – It is!! You’ll see!

4. trude wofford says:

I have to try this! I have a few recipes to clean up that call for it! Thank you!

5. Dawn Holmgren says:

My kids are going to be so excited! With out blender we bought it has so many yummy recipes for “ice cream”…..yeah right! It calls for using coffee creamer and both powdered/condensed milk. Now we can make them! I had to read your ingredients over a few times before I would believe my eyes of only TWO INGREDIENTS!! LOL
    Thanks for the tip!

1. Dawn – I know, right?! I love that it’s only 2 ingredients!

6. I made Gale’s Raisin Biscuits a few weeks ago and they were delicious! I wouldn’t have ever thought to use the “raisin milk” as condensed milk. That’s a wonderful idea. You two are great and really are lifesavers for my clean eating lifestyle.

1. Katrina – Thanks!! I still have to make those biscuits, but I’m sure they’re great!

7. So do you strain out the raisins for the milk or blend them? I am excited about this recipe. There have been many recipes I couldn’t (wouldn’t) make because of the sweetened cond. milk. Thanks!

1. Lori – Depends on your end goal. Try the milk by itself and see if you like the sweetness. If you do, strain them out. If you want it sweeter, blend them in. Blending them would be a great way to sweeten something naturally. But be warned, it’s VERY sweet!

8. Tiffany – I made the raisen milk with almond milk and really liked the taste. Was wondering if you had any idea about the sugar content. I am trying very hard to keep my sugar grams to about 15 per day. If I don’t eat the raisens, wonder what the milk would be in terms of sugar? Oh well…. I also can’t bear to throw the fruit away, put into the freezer to make those raisen bisquits later! Thanks so much, just found your site and really appreciate what you offer us.

1. Arlene – I wish I had an answer for you. You are not the first to ask. I will have to see if I can figure something out. Wish I could be more help!

9. Ok i am a little confused up in Gales instructions “Itโ€™s very important to know that after 24 hours the milk should be discarded if not used. I tried it a few more times as an experiment, left it in the fridge for 48 hours and it turned into this nasty looking, smelly liquid. The time needs to be fairly precise.”
    then your instructions are, “In a storage container, combine both ingredients and set in the fridge for 24 hours.”
    Would you please clarify? Is it because she used milk and you used almond or soy milk. I am sorry to bother. Sometimes i do not get how to think outside the box lol:)

1. Jennifer – No worries! I think what you are referring to is the difference between the milks. After the raisins have been soaking for 24 hours, with regular milk, you then have 24 hours after that to use it up. With other milks such as almond or soy, you have longer.

1. How long is the almond milk good for?

10. I love the idea of a clean, condensed milk! Please keep us posted if you try it in any ice cream or baking recipes ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Pingback: Clean Eating Coffee Creamer
  12. Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun says:

That’s awesome! Thanks so much for sharing. I’ll use the almond milk version for sure ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Anonymous says:

Jen – You’re welcome! Hope you enjoy it!

13. Anonymous says:

Jackie – I’m not sure. I would try it with 1 date in 1/2 cup of milk and see what you end up with. If nothing else, you’ll have milk and a date for your breakfast oats!

14. Anonymous says:

Cdyer – LOL!! No, I think Gale read about it somewhere and just started experimenting. And since I can’t have dairy, I experimented with a non-dairy version.

15. Anonymous says:

JDP – I will say yes, but know that I have not tried it. I do have a pumpkin pie recipe here however that does not require condensed milk at all.

16. graciouspantry says:

Aepick – I would check it after a full week, though you will get some separation after the first day or two.

17. MFasnacht says:

I am so excited to try this! I’ve been hanging on to my fat free half and half for my morning coffee because I couldn’t find a replacement that worked for me. But I’m going to “brew” this tonight and see how it goes!

As a side note, kudos to you for doing this site, really! I know how time-consuming sharing this information and responding to everyone can be. And that you provide it for free just to share with others while taking your journey is very very cool. We appreciate it!

1. graciouspantry says:

MF – Thank you! I really appreciate your support and kind words. Let me know how you like the condensed milk!

18. Cupycake786 says:

Does anyone know what the sugar and carb amounts would be if using almond milk? My mom is watching both but would love to try this for her…she loves condensed milk in her coffee!!

1. graciouspantry says:

Cupycake – Go to the store and see what the carton says on the back. Every brand will be different.

19. graciouspantry says:

I just keep them whole.

20. graciouspantry says:

It has to sit in the fridge overnight to sweeten and thicken. So yes, you’d have to make a batch ahead of time.

21. graciouspantry says:

To the best of my knowledge, so long as there is no added sugar, they are clean.

22. Pingback: Clean Eating Recipes | Clean Eating Pumpkin Pie Coffee Creamer
  23. graciouspantry says:

To the best of knowledge, they are all clean. But the only way to be sure is to read the ingredient list. You should only see raisins listed.

24. Hi there! Just wondering if anyone has tried using coconut milk for this recipe? Does it thicken well?

25. Hi this is awesome! Do you know whether it’d work in jelly slice?