These clean eating buttered black beans are a deliciously, plant-based main course in my house!
I know. The word “buttered” and clean eating seldom go together. But we aren’t talking about deep frying or eating a pound of the stuff. It’s more like sautéing.
This is a wonderful side dish for just about anything that goes with beans, but it can also be a fabulous main course! Pair it with some brown rice for a complete protein, and toss in a side of veggies for good nutrition. Simple!
Honestly, this recipe is so simple, I’m not even sure it qualifies as a recipe. It’s one of those dishes I make so regularly (about once a week. Mini Chef loves it!), that I never really thought to share it here. I use a vegan butter myself, but regular butter is just as good. I’ve had it both ways and both are equally delicious.
ABOUT THE RECIPE:
- If you are vegan, use vegan butter.
- You can adjust the amounts of any of the ingredients to suit your tastes or dietary needs.
- You can used canned (drained & rinsed) beans or homemade from dry. The only difference is the amount of sodium. Just make sure there is not added sugar if you used canned. Read the ingredients!
WHAT TO SERVE THIS WITH:
- Any type of Mexican-style meal.
- Rice and veggies.
- Tossed into a salad (cool it down first!).
- Inside a taco or burrito.
- Tossed into pasta.
- Tossed into quinoa or other whole grain for a grain salad.
- Served just by itself!
- Fridge: Up to 3 days.
- Freezer: Up to 4 months.
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE CLEAN EATING RECIPES:
CLEAN EATING BUTTERED BLACK BEANS RECIPE:
Clean Eating Buttered Black Beans
- 4 cups black beans (cooked or canned)
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- salt to taste
- In a large skillet, sauté the onions in the butter until translucent.
- Stir in the beans and stir until warmed through.
- Season with salt to taste and serve.