As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These buttered black beans are a deliciously, plant-based main course in my house!
I know. The word “buttered” and clean eating seldom go together. But we aren’t talking about deep frying or eating a pound of the stuff. It’s more like sautéing.
This is a wonderful side dish for just about anything that goes with beans, but it can also be a fabulous main course! Pair it with some brown rice for a complete protein, and toss in a side of veggies for good nutrition. Simple!
Honestly, this recipe is so simple, I’m not even sure it qualifies as a recipe. It’s one of those dishes I make so regularly (about once a week. Mini Chef loves it!), that I never really thought to share it here. I use vegan butter myself, but regular butter is just as good. I’ve had it both ways and both are equally delicious.
What To Serve With Buttered Black Beans
- Any type of Mexican-style meal.
- Rice and veggies.
- Tossed into a salad (cool it down first!).
- Inside a taco or burrito.
- Tossed into pasta.
- Tossed into quinoa or other whole grain for a grain salad.
- Served just by itself!
About The Recipe
- If you are vegan, use vegan butter.
- You can adjust the amounts of any of the ingredients to suit your tastes or dietary needs.
- You can use canned (drained & rinsed) beans or homemade from dry. The only difference is the amount of sodium. Just make sure there is no added sugar if you used canned. Read the ingredients!
About The Ingredients
Black beans – Cooked or canned.
Red onion – Chopped small.
Butter – Salted butter works best.
Salt – To taste
How To Make Buttered Black Beans
In a large skillet, sauté the onions in the butter until translucent.
Stir in the beans and stir until warmed through.
Season with salt to taste and serve.
- Fridge: Up to 3 days.
- Freezer: Up to 4 months.
Reheat these in a skillet with a little extra butter.
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
More Healthy Black Bean Recipes
Remember to subscribe to my free newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox. Click here to sign up!
Buttered Black Beans Recipe Card
Buttered Black Beans
- 4 cups black beans (cooked or canned)
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup butter
- salt to taste
- In a large skillet, sauté the onions in the butter until translucent.
- Stir in the beans and stir until warmed through.
- Season with salt to taste and serve.
I'm Tiffany, a cookbook author, food lover, mom, and writer for MSN and the AP Newswire.
Looking to stock your freezer for busy weeknights?
I wrote the book! Grab a copy of my book, Clean Eating Freezer Meals on Amazon here, or at select bookstores nationwide!