These grilled carrots are proof that life is always better with a delicious grilled side dish on your dinner plate! This easy, healthy baby carrots recipe is one of our favorite clean eating side dishes!
Of course, it’s always better when life involves a good story being served with each dish. This one was no exception…
Life with Mini Chef is nothing but one adventure after another. Whatever he does, he does it with gusto! He’s an “all-or-nothing”, “give-it-110%” kinda kid. He puts his heart and soul into everything from helping me in the kitchen, to chasing the cat around the house with his hamster puppet on his hand screaming, “I WANT A KISSYYYYYYY!!!!” (The cat may never recover from that particular episode.)
So when I told him he could shake the bag of carrots (you’ll see why below), I had no idea what I was agreeing to. He dutifully helped me add all the ingredients to the bag and then I zipped it shut. What ensued from that moment forward is something that should have been recorded and uploaded to YouTube.
Not only did he shake the baby carrots until they were darn near tender, he shook them so hard he lost his balance and fell over on the floor, missing the poor cat by mere milliseconds. And he was so proud of himself when he was done!
It’s moments like that that I live for in the kitchen. Those little moments that can only happen when everyone is in the kitchen helping. I love those moments.
And of course, playing ball in the yard while the barbecue grill is doing its thing is the epitome of a fabulous evening for me. Home, family, fabulous food and one very irritated feline. Life is good.
These grilled carrots will pair nicely with just about anything you cook on the barbecue. But we enjoyed these with some grilled citrus chicken. Delicious!
Note: No felines were harmed in the events of this story. He was however thoroughly agitated and all around indignant, which is technically his normal state of being anyway.
MORE CLEAN EATING CARROT RECIPES:
GRILLED CARROTS RECIPE:
Clean Eating Grilled Carrots
- 2 lbs. organic baby carrots
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Place all ingredients inside a large plastic bag, seal and shake until the carrots are well coated.
- Place a piece of aluminum foil on the BBQ grill and place your carrots on that. Spread them out so that they are in a single layer.
- Put the lid on the grill and allow to cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally with BBQ tongs. Cook until they are soft and easily pierced with a fork.
- Note: Cooking times will vary based on the temperature of your grill. 30 minutes is an approximate time.
- Caution: These little buggers really hold their heat! Cutting them and allowing them to cool for a bit before eating them is probably a wise decision.
This recipe from the Gracious Pantry archives, originally posted 4/7/11.