As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The term “superfoods” is sort of a silly term simply because ALL real foods have health benefits. We all need a diet filled with a literal rainbow of produce and more to keep ourselves healthy. But there are whole foods that are, to some extent, more nutrient dense than other. So I came up with this list of 50 clean eating super foods that I thought were truly awesome.
If you find yourself falling into a “clean eating rut”, this list can be a fun and healthy way to shake things up a bit. It’s a great reminder of the types of foods we should be including in our eating plans and makes one heckofa healthy shopping list to boot!
Enjoy these foods in season for optimal nutrient content and try to purchase organics where you can afford them.
Please note, none of the following information is intended as medical advice. Please consult your doctor if you have medical concerns.
50 CLEAN EATING SUPER FOODS
- APPLES – Apples are fantastic for your heart as well as for keeping your bowl movements regular. And lets face it. If things are “moving” along smoothly, many diseases are far less likely to occur.
- APRICOTS – These orangey little fruits are a health inducing powerhouse! Apricots help fight cancer, control blood pressure, slows the aging process and even fights against Alzheimer’s!
- ARTICHOKES – While it can be tough to eat these without drenching them in butter or mayo, these fabulous flower buds actually lower cholesterol, aid your digestions and even fight liver disease.
- ASPARAGUS – These green “sticks” of deliciousness are wonderful for fiber intake as well as for vitamins A,C and E. They have many minerals and are great for your blood sugar.
- AVOCADOS – These small, oval fruits taste great in many different dishes, they also help fight diabetes and high cholesterol. Avocados can actually help stop a stroke dead in its tracks, and to top it all off, your skin will look better as well!
- BANANAS – Bananas can “plug you up” when you’re sick or have “the runs”, they can sooth a nagging cough and help keep your blood pressure regulated. Pretty good for this yellow yummy!
- BEANS AND LEGUMES
- BEETS – Most folks either loves these red root veggies, or absolutely hate there. There’s very little in between. But if you love em’, you’ll have a great leg up on those that don’t. Beets help with blood pressure control, weight loss and even helps keep your bones in good condition!
- BLUEBERRIES – These lovely little berries pack a truly big nutritional punch! They are credited with fighting cancer, strengthening memory and even helping your heart and blood sugar. You definitely want to include these goodies in your clean eating plan!
- BROCCOLI – These little “trees” can help strengthen your bones, fight cancer and even preserves your eyesight!
- BRUSSEL SPROUTS – Love them or hate them, these “little cabbages” are filled with fiber, antioxidants and have been said to help fight cancer.
- CABBAGE – For those of you who love your cabbage, you can boast about the extra health benefits you’re getting. Benefits such as help with weight loss, cancer prevention and heart health.
- CANTALOUPE – Cut into one of these lovely melons to help build your immune system and fight cancer, high blood pressure and even high cholesterol.
- CARROTS – We all grew up knowing you have to eat your carrots to have healthy eyes. Well guess what? The same applies to adults! But that’s not all you get out of eating your carrots. You also get smoother bowl movements, weight loss, better heart health and a lowered risk of cancer!
- CAULIFLOWER – This one is great for the guys! Cauliflower helps fight prostate cancer and builds bone strength. But you women can love it too. It fights breast cancer (which men can get too!) and even helps bruises heal faster.
- CHERRIES – Cherry season is just a few months out of the year, so you should indulge while you can! Cherries have been credited with helping to preserve your brain and heart health. They may even slow down the aging process and give you a helping hand with insomnia!
- CHIA SEEDS – These high protein seeds are also high in omega-3 fatty acids, as well as fiber and antioxidants.
- CRANBERRIES – These little red treats are not only delicious, but are also said to help with urinary tract infection, fight cancer and lower blood pressure. Not bad for a little berry!
- DARK CHOCOLATE – Whoever said chocolate was bad for you wasn’t talking about dark chocolate. This devine deliciousness seems to help with cancer, cardiovascular health, and possibly even premature aging!
- EGGS – These affordable protein sources are high in B vitamins as well as vitamin D and certain minerals such as zinc and iron.
- FISH – While all varieties of fish will have different levels of nutrients, in general, most fish is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids as well as certain vitamins and minerals such as vitamin D, potassium and calcium.
- FLAX – You can’t go wrong with flaxseed. It aids in digestions, helps your immune system and possibly even with blood sugar levels in diabetics. The only thing way to top the benefits of flaxseed are with chia seed.. But flax is more widely available than Chia and often more affordable.
- GARLIC – Just in case you haven’t heard yet, garlic has been shown to lower cholesterol, blood pressure, and possibly even fights cancer and kills certain bacteria. And don’t forget the REAL benefit of garlic. It scares away the vampires! (Or anyone else who gets to close to you after you’ve eaten a lot of it! lol)
- GRAPES – Enjoyed as a sweet snack or even dessert, these fruits are filled with helpful nutrients thought to fight cancer, improve heart health and blood pressure.
- GREEK YOGURT – A good source of vitamin B12, calcium and potassium, Greek yogurt is said to aid in digestive health due to the probiotics. It’s also a decent source of protein.
- GREEN TEA – An ancient remedy for hundreds of years, 1 cup a day is said to help fight cancer, help with weight loss and help fight strokes.
- KALE – This higher protein green is also a great source of fiber, vitamin C, A and K as well as folate. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids. No wonder people are obsessed with kale!
- KIWI – High in vitamins such as K, C and E, you’ll also get a healthy dose of antioxidants and potassium from these delicious fruits.
- LEMONS – These sour fruits are amazing at so many things. Fighting everything from cancer to the common cold, never miss a chance to include these in your eating plan.
- MANGOS – This tropical delight helps strengthen your memory as well as your digestion. It also fights cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.
- MUSHROOMS – The lowly mushroom deserves a pedestal for its medicinal uses. It helps control blood pressure and lowers your cholesterol. And yes, like many other foods on this list, mushrooms fight cancer too!
- NUTS – Though all nuts have different levels of nutrients, in general, nuts will give you healthy doses of unsaturated fats, vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids.
- OATS – Oats are well-known for their cholesterol lowering abilities. But did you know they also improve the condition of your skin and help fight diabetes?
- OLIVE OIL – Olive oil should be a part of many dishes you cook. It strengthens the heart, fights diabetes and cancer and helps with weight loss. For those with dry skin, it’s an excellent way to cleanse your skin as well! Just put a little on a cotton ball and wipe clean. You’ll never use cleansers and water again!
- ORANGES – We all know that a nice glass of OJ goes well with just about any breakfast. But did you know that oranges strengthen your immune system, fight cancer and strengthen your heart?
- PAPAYA – This tropical fruit has been attributed many health benefits from helping with weight loss to easing menstrual cramps. They are said to help boost your immunity, aid in good blood sugar control and even help with arthritis.
- PEACHES – These summer time treats are great for digestion and constipation.
- PINEAPPLE – Never miss a chance to eat pineapple! Not only is it absolutely delicious on a hot summer day, it also strengthens your digestion, your bones and aids with weight loss.
- PUMPKIN – Some folks see pumpkins as something to carve once a year. But the truth is, your friendly Jack-O-Lantern also provides tons of fiber, controls blood pressure and normalizes heart function. So this year, carve your pumpkin a few hours before dark, and then bring it in for cooking when the festivities are finished.
- POMEGRANATES – These amazing fruits have up to 7 times the amount of antioxidants of green tea! Impressed? They also fight cancer, and reduce blood pressure and bad cholesterol.
- QUINOA – Actually a seed, this “grain” is the only grain on the planet that contains all 9 amino acids. A complete protein!
- RICE (BROWN) – Brown rice should be a staple in every one’s diet. Not only is it a very low allergen food, it also protects your heart and fight diabetes, kidney stones and cancer.
- SALMON, WILD – Wild salmon provides oodles of omega-3 essential fatty acids. A crucial bit of nutrition for us humans. But that’s not all. Salmon also provides many other vitamins like vitamin B3 and B12 which contribute to a healthy metabolism.
- SPINACH – Popeye had the right idea. You have to eat your spinach to grow strong! Why? Spinach helps you fight cancer, improves your cardiovascular health and improves brain function!
- SWEET POTATOES – All clean eaters know, sweet potatoes are a fantastic carb to include in your clean eating plan! But why? Because they protect your vision, encourage a good mood, fight cancer and keep your bones strong. That’s why!
- SWISS CHARD – Rich in fiber, you’ll get a healthy dose of vitamins K and C from these wonderful greens
- TOMATOES – These fabulous orbs are big time cancer fighters! They also help battle high cholesterol.
- WATERMELON – This wonderful summer time treat is a fabulous aid for weight loss, lowering cholesterol, avoiding strokes and controlling your blood pressure. So eat up!
- WHEAT GERM – The healthiest “germ” you’ll ever include in your diet! It fights colon cancer, keeps things “moving smoothly” and helps your digestion in a big way.
- WINTER SQUASH – As a general application, winter squashes offer up help with strengthening your immune system with lots of fiber and vitamins such as B6 and 3, omega-3 fatty acid, potassium and vitamins C and A. A good way to stay healthy in winter!