As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These lunch box burritos are a healthy, quick, easy-breezy lunch any day of the week.
I know. A basic burrito sounds pretty lame. I mean, who can’t throw one of those together, right?
Well, this post is really more about an easy lunch idea that is great for stocking your freezer with for either kids or adults!
I kept this super simple because I figured if anyone reading this is like me, school lunches sometimes happen last minute, like 10 minutes before you have to walk out the door. So while this may take a little longer than 10 minutes to make, it’s even faster to pop one from your freezer into the microwave for 3 minutes to pop into that last-minute lunch box.
- Freeze these separately on a cookie sheet for about 4 hours first. Then you can pile them all into one bag or container to store in the freezer.
- These will keep in the freezer for up to 4 months without losing flavor or too many nutrients.
- To cook directly from the freezer, microwave for about 2-3 minutes on high. Flip over about halfway through for more even cooking.
Lunch Packing Tips
- Pack a warm burrito in an insulated lunch bag/box to keep it warm until lunch.
- Pack a cold (from the fridge) burrito with ice packs on both sides.
- Pack a frozen burrito with ice packs on both sides.
- I keep cans of clean, refried beans in my pantry at all times for quick meals. To heat them, add about 1-2 tbsp. of water to the pot with the beans to make them easier to stir.
- Using cooked rice, warm it in a pot with a small pat of butter and a tiny pinch of salt for extra flavor.
- Warm the tortilla by wrapping them in damp paper towels, then place them in the oven or microwave (10-15 minutes and 2-3 minutes, respectively). This will make the tortillas easier to fold.
- Feel free to add other toppings, but first, ask yourself if they will freeze well. Also, keep the additions in small portions so you can still wrap the burrito.
- Pack this with a side of salsa or guacamole and some fruit for a complete lunch.
- This recipe assumes your rice is already cooked. So if you don’t have any cooked, do that first.
More Lunchbox Ideas
Lunch Box Burritos Recipe Card
Lunch Box Burritos Recipe
- 1 whole grain tortilla
- ⅓ cup warmed refried beans
- ¼ cup cooked brown rice
- Lay the tortilla on a flat surface, layer on the beans and then the rice.
- Roll up the burrito and place, edge side down, on a baking sheet.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours before transferring to a larger, freezer-safe container for long term storage in the freezer.