As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These delicious lemon muffins make a perfect, take-along snack!
A Facebook fan recently asked me if I could come up with a recipe for Lemon Blueberry Muffins.
Since I already had a Blueberry Corn Muffin recipe, I figured I would try a lemon muffin and really focus on the lemon flavor. The thing is, when you bake with whole grains, flavors like lemon can be difficult to really bring to the forefront (at least for me). So this was a major point of focus for me.
If you like the idea of adding blueberries, feel free to do so. It would certainly be tasty!
More Healthy Muffin Recipes
Lemon Muffins Recipe Card
- 1 Standard muffin pan
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (affiliate link)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup milk (use only ½ cup if you are adding frozen fruit like blueberries. Non-dairy milks worsk too)
- 2 tsp. lemon extract
- ¼ cup lemon zest (freshly grated is best)
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ½ cup blueberries (optional)
- If you use fresh fruit, don't make any adjustments. Just add the fruit. However, if you are using frozen fruit, reduce the milk by ¼ cup.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line your muffin tin with cupcake papers or spray the tin with an olive oil mister.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together your flour and baking soda.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the rest of the ingredients using a whisk.
- Add the flour to the wet ingredients a little at a time, whisking as you go.
- Pour into your muffin tin. Fill up the cups only half way.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick poked in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.