These microwave pancakes are perfect for making breakfast in your dorm room!
Dorm rooms can be a very challenging place to attempt clean eating. But it’s not impossible! In fact, with just 2 minutes in the microwave, you can have clean eating pancakes whenever you like!
Now I will be the first to admit that a microwaved pancake will not be winning you any culinary awards any time soon, and I know that many people don’t care for microwaves. But these are pretty darn good, despite coming out of the nuke box, and when you have no other way to cook, it’s better than going through the drive-thru!!
The important thing is to mix this batter really well. Otherwise, you end up with parts of the pancake that taste only like egg, or only like baking soda. So don’t be afraid to beat the heck out of this. Take your mid-term exam stress out on your pancake batter. You’ll feel better.
I should also say that these should be a special treat. They are high in natural fats, so eat this in moderation.
CAN YOU REHEAT PANCAKES IN THE MICROWAVE?
Absolutely! They tend to get a little dry, so you may want to wrap them in a damp paper towel. But aside from that, you can reheat this recipe or any pancakes recipe in the microwave. The length of time will depend on how many pancakes you have. For this particular recipes, you can reheat for about 5 to 7 seconds on high.
HOW TO MAKE PANCAKES FOR ONE:
This recipe makes it super easy. That being said, you can double the recipe and make regular pancakes as well and it will still be enough for one person. So if you have access to a stove top on campus, you can totally make this the old fashion way.
DO YOU USE BUTTER OR OIL TO COOK PANCAKES?
In a microwave recipe like this, oil is the better choice. Should you decide to make this on a stove top, clarified butter is always best, but regular butter will work too and adds a wonderful flavor.
CLEAN EATING MICROWAVE PANCAKES RECIPE:
Clean Eating Microwave Pancakes
- 2 tbsp. whole wheat pastry flour (or white whole wheat flour)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp. milk (any kind)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- maple syrup for topping
- fresh fruit for topping
- Whisk together all ingredients in a standard-sized mug. Be very sure to to mix thoroughly. You can’t mix this batter too much.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- During the microwave process, the pancake will come up and over the mug quite a bit like a weird science experiment. Don’t worry, the second the microwave door opens, it will go back down into the mug.
- Top with a little maple syrup and some fresh fruit and you’ve got a Clean Eating Dorm Room Pancake!!