If you love Orzo, this clean eating chickpea orzo salad could put a delicious twist on an old favorite.
Orzo is delicious stuff. While often mistaken for a grain, this pasta is a wonderful way to make a fun salad. Like most pastas, you can find it made with either white, processed flour or whole grain flour. So look for the box of whole grain orzo.
- Orzo is popular in Europe and is often used in Italian, Greek, Turkish and Arabic cooking.
- You’ll often find it added to minestrone or even cooked similarly to risotto.
- It’s pronounced, “ordzo”
- It can be served by itself, in a salad, in casseroles, as pilaf, in soups and more.
- It’s as versatile as any grain.
- It’s made from wheat, just like other shapes of pasta.
BENEFITS OF THIS RECIPE:
- The beans and wheat create a complete protein for plant-based folks.
- It’s light and refreshing.
- It makes an excellent side dish for meat eaters.
- It has tons of fiber and veggies.
- It has a little bit of satisfying crunch from the peppers while still being a soft food.
- Family gatherings
- Family dinner
- Lunch the next day
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THIS CLEAN EATING RECIPE:
CLEAN EATING CHICKPEA ORZO SALAD RECIPE:
A light and delicious plant-based meal or side dish for meat eaters. Perfect for gatherings and get togethers.
- 1/2 lb. dry orzo (cooked to package directions)
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 3.8 oz. can black, sliced olives (drained)
- 3/4 cup loosely packed, chopped basil
- 1 cup diced cucumbers
- 11/2 cup diced red peppers
- 15 oz. can chickpeas (drained and rinsed - 1 1/4 cups home cooked chickpeas)
- garlic lemon vinaigrette to taste - see link above
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook the orzo to package directions, drain and set aside. Drizzle a little oil over it if needed to keep it from sticking together as it sticks. It's best cooked slightly al dente.
Prep all the remaining ingredients and then toss with the orzo in a large mixing bowl. Adjust the vinaigrette, salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Please note that the nutrition data below is a ballpark figure. Exact data is not possible. Data does not include vinaigrette. See that recipe for more data.