As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This chickpea quinoa salad is perfect for the busy, but hot days of summer.
We all need a quick meal we can throw together in the spur of the moment. Something simple, quick, and easy that is still nutritious and tasty. This quinoa chickpea salad is it! It’s great for a fast dinner, a simple side dish, or something to share at picnics, barbecues, or potlucks. And it’s definitely something different from your usual pasta salad. So dig in!
I always cook a big pot of quinoa at the beginning of the week, so it’s super easy to mix things in for a quick meal. Not every quinoa salad I make makes it onto this blog though because frankly, not all of them are tasty enough to qualify. They might get me through a meal, but they aren’t something that most folks would actually enjoy. This salad was different. the flavors are simple but wonderful. The soft crunch of the beans is lovely and the overall dish is somehow cooling for a hot summer evening. It’s fresh with plenty of pleasant textures and definitely filling. It’s also great for meal prep!
Vegan – As written, this recipe is already vegan or plant-based. No change is needed.
Sugar-Free – No sugar is called for in this recipe. The only sugars are naturally occurring in the food.
Dairy-Free – No dairy is called for in the recipe as written. So as long as you don’t add any, you’re good to go!
Gluten-Free – While this recipe doesn’t call for any gluten-based ingredients, it’s best to double-check things like the vinegar if this is a major concern.
Keto/Low Carb – This is not recommended for keto or low-carb eaters.
Recipe Additions & Add-Ins
Want to round out this salad a bit more? If so, here are some suggestions for extra ingredients you can add. Measure them with your heart.
- Feta cheese
- Grape tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes)
- Kalamata olives
- Roasted garlic
- More veggies such as cucumber, carrots, red onion, red bell pepper, or peas.
- Try adding some nuts such as almonds, pecans, or walnuts.
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil at serving.
- Try using couscous in place of quinoa if you prefer pasta salad.
Dressing Ideas For This Chickpea Quinoa Salad Recipe
If you want to use dressing instead of just the vinegar, here are some ideas you can mix together by shaking them in a mason jar with a lid. Mix and match as you like.
- Dijon mustard – Yellow mustard works too. Most people enjoy 1 teaspoon up to 1 tablespoon in most dressing recipes.
- Apple cider vinegar – Use equal amounts with the oil, or use double the amount of oil. Your choice.
- A heart-healthy oil
- Maple syrup – Add this to taste.
- Lemon juice – Typically, just 1 to 2 tablespoons will be plenty.
- Fresh parsley or other fresh herbs – Add these with your heart.
Mix any number of these in a small bowl and then pour over the chickpea quinoa salad and toss well.
About The Ingredients
Cooked quinoa – Cooked with vegetable broth (instead of water) to package directions.
Cooked chickpeas – (A.K.A. Garbanzo beans) These can be canned or home cooked. If canned, drain and rinse.
Salt – To taste
How To Make Chickpea Quinoa Salad
Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Serve after adjusting the salt to your liking.
Store this in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezing Chickpea Quinoa Salad
This will freeze pretty well, but it’s best to freeze it in smaller portions. If wrapped well, this will freeze for up to 4 months. Note that it’s best to freeze this without the fresh basil in it.
Reheating Chickpea Quinoa Salad
If frozen, thaw for 24 hours in the fridge. After that, simply reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
More Healthy Quinoa Recipes
Remember to subscribe to my free newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox. Click here to sign up!
Chickpea Quinoa Salad With Fresh Basil Recipe Card
Chickpea Basil Quinoa Salad
- 1 Large mixing bowl
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (cooked with vegetable broth to package directions)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (if canned, drain and rinse)
- ½ cup finely chopped basil
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- salt to taste
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Serve after adjusting salt to your liking.